Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pack Compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

omarsultan

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern California
Does anyone know if the MX will be battery pack compatible with the MS - essentially, I want to know if I can order an X60 (or whatever the smaller battery will be) and swap it with the pack in my S85. Conversely, if I order the X85 (or whatever the larger battery will be) and swap it with my S85 to give the S more range.

O

Unsure anyone knows. On one hand, we've heard that it's built on the "same platform" which might lend some support to the idea that it would be the same; on the other hand, it's going to be bigger, heavier, and with dual motors may require more capacity to reach the same range, so that may lend support away from that idea. New battery technology in the same form factor may allow for the range increase (to support the idea), but then again the firmware or some components may not be compatible between the two (to move away again).

All I know is I can't wait for the unveiling. My wife is getting more and more excited about "her" vehicle with each passing day. (Meanwhile, I'll get to drive the "old" Model S.)

Funny how that hasn't happened (won't happen?)

I personally don't think it is necessary but still think it 'might' happen. I like my few minutes at the SC's to take a breather + talk with mostly really neat people (if that's your thing)
it would be kinda stupid(costly?) for Tesla to make a non S compatible battery for the X. huge time/cost savings by keeping it the same + the most of main frame sub structure.

It seems that Tesla discourages swapping different sizes to discourage the "roll your own 85" approach --more from a pricing structure than a technical standpoint.

I'd imagine that swapping packs of the same capacity would probably be reasonably doable. That is, I wouldn't expect a battery swap station to have to segregate by size AND model...