Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their HV pack replaced lately? I just got a text last week after complaining about supercharging issues, and continual power output limitations that they are replacing my P85's battery. It's been acting up honestly since I've owned it, but it's gotten progressively worse. I drive 114 miles RT daily and can barely get from home at 90% to work and back returning at 13-15%.

Has anyone had their HV pack replaced lately? I just got a text last week after complaining about supercharging issues, and continual power output limitations that they are replacing my P85's battery. It's been acting up honestly since I've owned it, but it's gotten progressively worse. I drive 114 miles RT daily and can barely get from home at 90% to work and back returning at 13-15%.
Hi what exactly did you tell them was happening? Just curious

Wifes 2012 serial 2300 original pack has some power limiting going on now and it goes all the way down to 80kw when you floor it on the highway. Having SC look into it. seems like it is getting worse. thoughts? 136,000 miles on it.

You should be getting a 90 pack, they dont make 85 anymore, it should be RE badged. Make sure what u get.
I noticed my mileage going down after v9, i got new motor 2 weeks ago, now its seems to be using like 10 more miles on my normal drive to Jacksonville .

You should be getting a 90 pack, they dont make 85 anymore, it should be RE badged. Make sure what u get.
I noticed my mileage going down after v9, i got new motor 2 weeks ago, now its seems to be using like 10 more miles on my normal drive to Jacksonville .

Why does it sag so much in power draw under acceleration? I assume cell level internal resistance is way up9due to chemistry and age) and that is dropping voltage across the whole pack, causing limiting? it was at about 60deg internal pack temp as checked by SC techs at the time of the drop. I sent
a video to Tesla techs that is being forwarded up to to the engineering team, hopefully, 80kw max power is not acceptable when the
car is supposed to be around 320kw at max drawdown.??? or is it?

Hi what exactly did you tell them was happening? Just curious

I told them that the power limiter has been on starting anywhere as high as 83% in a fully warmed up car. It'll stay on until when it hits mid 30s% and then t goes on and off all the time with no reason. I'll be driving and it'll turn off and I think great. And then a mile later it's back on. Mind you it's been exhibiting this behaviour for about 2 years now on and off. It's progressively gotten worse.

Further, we had been discussing charging issues. If I can get a supercharger to charge the car at all, I'm getting a max of 48kw in even though the battery is a "D" pack, and I'm down below 15% battery. There have been several instances where I'll pull up plug in the car, and it'll look like it's charging, but then 2-3 minutes it'll error out and stop charging. Once again, the car has been driven for a good hour to 90 minutes before I plug the car in to charge, so it isn't an issue that the battery is too cold to accept a supercharge.

Finally, I charge my car overnight and leave my house at 90%. I make it home and it's roughly 13-15% charged. They dash will say I've consumed 40-45 kw, and am driving at 375-399 kwh/mi. I drive ~120 miles RT.

They tell me they've ordered the pack, but do not have an ETA. They have done a remote analysis with the virtual engineers, or whatever the team is and have come to the conclusion I need a new HV pack.

Wifes 2012 serial 2300 original pack has some power limiting going on now and it goes all the way down to 80kw when you floor it on the highway. Having SC look into it. seems like it is getting worse. thoughts? 136,000 miles on it.

Sounds similar to when I first started reporting it. I would be around 70-80% and I'd floor it and it to pass someone and it would cut power and show the power limiting line for a minute or two. It would then go away if I attempted to do request the same amount of power again. Mind you the car has been doing that for the past two years. It's only recently that it's gotten worse.

I hope that's what I'll get. Although it appears there have been refurbed 85s sent out as well. If I do get a 90 I will ask for the software rebadging and ask for the hardware rebadging, although that also appears to be mixed if they'll do the hardware (P85-P90 badge) change.

I hope that's what I'll get. Although it appears there have been refurbed 85s sent out as well. If I do get a 90 I will ask for the software rebadging and ask for the hardware rebadging, although that also appears to be mixed if they'll do the hardware (P85-P90 badge) change.
Also ask for a v3 90 vs. v1 or v2, from what I've read here the first two iterations have issues.

Selling new is one thing, but who's to say they don't drop a remanufactured 85 pack in for a warranty replacement. Would be fair game.

Reactions: tubaprde
Selling new is one thing, but who's to say they don't drop a remanufactured 85 pack in for a warranty replacement. Would be fair game.

There's larger reported number of 85s where the batteries were replaced with 90 packs, than 85 packs to 85 packs. That being said, I get whatever they assign me, and as long as it provides what should be considered to be reasonable degradation of a pack that has been in a car for 83k miles, then they've fulfilled their side of the warranty claim. Right now if I extrapolate my data, I have the ability to access less than 50kw of my potential 77.8kw, or whatever that number truly is.

There's larger reported number of 85s where the batteries were replaced with 90 packs, than 85 packs to 85 packs. That being said, I get whatever they assign me, and as long as it provides what should be considered to be reasonable degradation of a pack that has been in a car for 83k miles, then they've fulfilled their side of the warranty claim. Right now if I extrapolate my data, I have the ability to access less than 50kw of my potential 77.8kw, or whatever that number truly is.
How’d you come up with that data? When I asked Tesla to look at the batter to make sure all is OK they wanted $175 diagnostic fee. And I have an extended warranty

Well, I told them that I think I’m getting slower SC speeds at times and that my range is bad and that my acceleration can feel slow in ludicrous at times. Then asked if they can check the battery out (they’re already replacing a door handle and 4 tpms’ under the $200 deductible, I figured they should check everything that I can think of since I’m already paying the deducible). She said that when they hook the car up to the computer, the computer would let them know if anything is not normal, however if I want them to further “diagnose” the battery for specific issues I would have to pay the $175 diagnostic fee. Hrmmmm? Does all of that seem normal to you all?