Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But whose got a B pack on a brand new car?? I thought they were all D packs at least now.

Part number difference. All the discussion about the "B", "D", and "E" packs in the past were related to the original Model S 85 kWh battery pack (p/n 10141140). My battery pack is p/n 1025273-00-D, which is a remanufactured pack, rev D.

Different part numbers will have different revision letters. Tesla part numbers are of the format xxxxxx-yy-z, where xxxxxx is the part number, yy seems to be the supplier (or some other identifier - usually 00), and z is the revision letter.

Here are the part numbers (from the battery table here):

Battery models:
P/N 1014114 is described as "ASY,HV BATTERY,S3,MDLS" and is a new 85 kWh pack
P/N 1020422 is described as "ASY,HV BATTERY,S2,MDLS" and is a new 60 kWh pack
P/N 1028600 is another,apparently newer 60kWh we have seen
P/N 1025273 is described as "ASY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,REMAN" and is a remanufactured 85 kWh pack
P/N 1031043 is described as "ASY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,DUAL MTR,MDLS" and is a new 85 kWh pack for dual-motor operation

1031043-00-B could be more advanced than 1014114-00-E, because revision letters are only guaranteed to reflect revisions for that particular part #.

I'd like to get the p/n and description for a 70D into the table. My guess is that it'll be described as "ASY,HV BATTERY,S2BB,DUAL MTR,MDLS" but I don't know.

There is some evidence that Tesla is trying to keep the revisions synchronized between the battery packs (people have reported rev E for the dual-motor packs lately), but it doesn't have to be that way. There is no guarantee that rev B of one part will be the same age or capability of rev B of another, similar part.