Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery packs, a decision factor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was buying now I'd probably get the LFP standard range. In practice I've almost never used the LR range and it sounds like LFP may well last longer in years as well as miles. The premium interior on the LR is nice though.

But this is all still engineering in development, the cars haven't been on the road long enough to know the definitive answers yet. There is a degree of battery degradation risk in buying any EV.

I did a trip up to Byron bay from sydney last week. I found a reasonably significant decrease in range if you sat above 112km/hr on the screen speedo. 112 was fine, but 1 km over changed things. Even 113km/hr started to eat into my trip buffer. Maybe those that arent getting the expected range are regularly going over those speeds. At a guess, 120km/hr would see probably a 10-20% drop in range

I did a trip up to Byron bay from sydney last week. I found a reasonably significant decrease in range if you sat above 112km/hr on the screen speedo. 112 was fine, but 1 km over changed things. Even 113km/hr started to eat into my trip buffer.

There’s a “square of the speed” thing going on there. As tempting as it is to drive faster in a Model 3, you pay an increasingly high efficiency price for doing so.

True, but +1km/h shouldn't be a cliff as is implied. Wind or elevation change would seem a more logical explanation.
You also get breakdowns in laminar flow over the vehicle that can be quite abrupt from one speed to the next and turbulent flow has much more drag. I confess I’m speculating a bit here. External wind speed changes could be a big factor. I’ll need to get a pitot tube fitted! Hyper miling here I come…

Reactions: Wol747
You also get breakdowns in laminar flow over the vehicle that can be quite abrupt from one speed to the next and turbulent flow has much more drag. I confess I’m speculating a bit here. External wind speed changes could be a big factor. I’ll need to get a pitot tube fitted! Hyper miling here I come…
Don't forget to order the heated version - the unheated ones are probably from AF's old stock.....

Reactions: Hairyman