Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery percentage drops when parked at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question seems like it would have been addressed on here before, but I did a search and didn't come up with anything so I apologize if it's a repeat.

Here is my daily driving cycle. I charge to ~80% overnight, then drive to work in the morning. I typically get to work between 65% - 69% depending on the outside temperature. The car then sits for 9 to 10 hours. Even though I haven't touched the car all day, when I get back in to go home, I sometimes notice that the percentage has dropped 4 or 5% from what it read when I parked it. I do not have sentry mode, summon mode, or any of the other "known" things that cause increased background drain. Also when I'm parked at home and charge up, I do not see any drop after charge.

I thinking maybe it's just a temperature thing. I drive 75 mph for about a half hour and the park. Maybe driving in the battery heating up and then is cooling off during the day, which results in an overall battery voltage drop, and thus a related decrease in the reported percentage? Or perhaps now that it's getting warmer out, the car is actually using some energy to run the cooling loop during the afternoon?

Dropping 4-5% in 9 hours is a fair amount. "something" is keeping the car awake, imo. Are you checking it in the tesla app frequently? I know you mention that you dont have sentry on, but a lot of times people set sentry to be "on except for home" (there may be a setting for on except for home and work or something too, I dont use scheduled sentry).

Those locations sometimes are not exact, so sometimes its on (sentry) when people dont think it is. Just something to check if you use those settings.

Do you park in the sun? You didn't mention cabin overheat protection status?
Sentry is definitely off. Fully off. But yes I park in an open parking lot and it has been mid 70s, maybe even 80 deg a couple days with the sun on it. If it’s the cabin protection I’m totally fine with that, and want it on, just want to account for what’s happening that’s all.

The rest of the week will be cooler so it will be interesting to see if the capacity drop goes away or is lessened. Of course I could always just turn it off one day and see if it goes away completely.
Thanks!

Sentry is definitely off. Fully off. But yes I park in an open parking lot and it has been mid 70s, maybe even 80 deg a couple days with the sun on it. If it’s the cabin protection I’m totally fine with that, and want it on, just want to account for what’s happening that’s all.

The rest of the week will be cooler so it will be interesting to see if the capacity drop goes away or is lessened. Of course I could always just turn it off one day and see if it goes away completely.
Thanks!

I have cabin overheat protection on but with no AC.

This question seems like it would have been addressed on here before, but I did a search and didn't come up with anything so I apologize if it's a repeat.

Here is my daily driving cycle. I charge to ~80% overnight, then drive to work in the morning. I typically get to work between 65% - 69% depending on the outside temperature. The car then sits for 9 to 10 hours. Even though I haven't touched the car all day, when I get back in to go home, I sometimes notice that the percentage has dropped 4 or 5% from what it read when I parked it. I do not have sentry mode, summon mode, or any of the other "known" things that cause increased background drain. Also when I'm parked at home and charge up, I do not see any drop after charge.

I thinking maybe it's just a temperature thing. I drive 75 mph for about a half hour and the park. Maybe driving in the battery heating up and then is cooling off during the day, which results in an overall battery voltage drop, and thus a related decrease in the reported percentage? Or perhaps now that it's getting warmer out, the car is actually using some energy to run the cooling loop during the afternoon?
Cooling would be one of those other "known" things. 4 to 5% is actually quite a lot. It would help if you took a picture of your screen when you park, and when you get back to your car.

This happens to me---and as I said in another post, I park indoors. No one can determine why it happens. Lose about 5% while my car is parked at work.

I havent seen you confirm if you changed your tesla account password. I know from other posts you have made here that you at one point tried teslafi, and that could still be polling your car, even if you deleted it and unsubscribed.

Did you change your tesla account password to make sure that nothing has your token?

Reactions: derotam and WhiteWi