Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery preconditioning in the morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I'm waiting for the plaid and it got me thinking. In the morning when I drive the car do I need to let it warm up like my ICE or can I floor it from the get-go?
Will I be limited in power until the battery warms up?
For launch mode, if the car is warm after driving it does it still take 15 minutes to condition the batteries for launch mode?
Thanks

I asked the sales advisor on my test drive the same question. He didn't have any hard answer, but we figured there's sense in at least having some mechanical empathy for the car while cold. It has no engine, but It does still have gear oil lubricating the reduction gear. Power will still be available, though regen will be limited to a point if the pack temperature is below 67F.

For launch mode, even if the car is already "warmed up" you'll still need to wait as the battery will continue to heat up beyond the temperature where it will typically be actively cooled.

If the car doesn't have any of the yellow triangles then you can launch it straight out of your driveway.
If you get in the car and the battery is over about 96% you will get the yellow triangle on the regen side of the watt meter signaling you have limited regen capabilities till you burn off a little power.
If you get in the car and there is a yellow triangle on the power side of the watt meter then your battery is either too hot or too cold, if you haven't driven the car and its cold outside its obvious which it is. That one shows up when I'm out on the highway doing 120+ going up a hill it will start to limit power that can be pulled from the batteries till they cool down, but usually doesn't happen till I'm near the crest of whatever hill I'm on.

if you put the car in Ludacris plus or insane plus or whatever the new one is called it heats up the battery to a higher than ideal temp for normal driving but in doing so the batteries can output more juice at a given moment so it make a smidge extra power. and it also enables launch control mode if you're at the track.

If your car is in a cold environment and the pack gets really cold about an hour before you plan to drive turn on the cabin heat and the pre-conditioner for the battery will start warming up the pack, because if its cold you will have limited regen but not limited power till it warms up. It will also limit the speed you can SC at if the pack is real cold.

how cold are your ambient temperatures at night? If it's real cold, you'll get a snowflake and a portion of your charge bar will be blue until the pack warms up (which uses juice of course), unless you precondition while plugged in.

Tesla-blue-battery-with-snowflake-1.png