Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery preconditioning while navigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that when I have a destination set that requiring a charging stop, my M3 does not (or at least doesn't say) that it's preconditioning the battery for faster charging. But, if I navigate directly to the charger, it will. Is this true for everyone else? Does it actually precondition but just doesn't say?

I just made a 1,500 mile road trip. I stopped at a total of 9 supercharging stations. I noticed the same thing you mentioned. I’m also curious as to why this happens, bit I wonder if the battery isn’t always in need of preconditioning en route to your supercharger, regardless of how it was input in your navigation. So I should’ve paid attention to the times my battery would be “warm” from driving 200 miles straight on the highway on my way to the next supercharging station.

My Model 3LR has the acceleration boost and after leaving a supercharger, the car is wicked-fast since the battery is at it‘s peak state of readiness/condition in.

I just made a 1,500 mile road trip. I stopped at a total of 9 supercharging stations. I noticed the same thing you mentioned. I’m also curious as to why this happens, bit I wonder if the battery isn’t always in need of preconditioning en route to your supercharger, regardless of how it was input in your navigation. So I should’ve paid attention to the times my battery would be “warm” from driving 200 miles straight on the highway on my way to the next supercharging station.

My Model 3LR has the acceleration boost and after leaving a supercharger, the car is wicked-fast since the battery is at it‘s peak state of readiness/condition in.
I have a M3LR+B also.. I always thought it was my imagination that my car was faster after charging... but hey... even RC cars are a bit faster with fresh batteries.

Could it be that it just hasn't required pre-conditioning (due to weather?) in those instances that you didn't notice it was preconditioning? Certainly it would be worthwhile to repeat the experiment when the temps get colder.

Could it be that it just hasn't required pre-conditioning (due to weather?) in those instances that you didn't notice it was preconditioning? Certainly it would be worthwhile to repeat the experiment when the temps get colder.
I don't think so. I've tested it last weekend. Had nav route with a stop along the way, and it didn't show. Cancelled it and navigated directly to it, and the pre-conditioning message came up. Maybe it pre-conditions on nav but just doesn't tell you. If it doesn't, that seems like an odd oversight.

Reactions: RTPEV
I noticed that when I have a destination set that requiring a charging stop, my M3 does not (or at least doesn't say) that it's preconditioning the battery for faster charging. But, if I navigate directly to the charger, it will. Is this true for everyone else? Does it actually precondition but just doesn't say?
I noticed the same behaviour but I could understand the logic behind it, however the navigation should provide the option to do use or not the preconditioning:

- If you intend to go to a Supercharger, it makes sense to have the preconditioning activated.

- When making a trip, the Navigation then shows the recommended Supercharger to use, but the navigation cannot determine if you really plan to use this Supercharger.
I think then that the navigation should display a message providing an option to start the preconditioning or not.

Note: When the preconditioning is running, the front motor stats making noise. You can check also that the front motor is activated using the Scan My Tesla ODB2 App.

I observed a very odd behavior over Labor Day weekend. I started a roadtrip at nearly 100% soc. I set navigation and it set my first charging stop about 250 miles away. It began preconditioning with over 90% soc… still over 200 miles away. I felt it was waaaay too soon to start that….and a waste of energy too. So I ended up canceling my navigation to stop the conditioning and turned it back on when I was 60 miles out. I’ve since had a couple of otas with bug fixes. Maybe that cured it but wondering if anyone else noticed this behavior?

If you have an SR+, it only has the rear motor to heat the battery, and it's already used for driving. I think the car has a hard time heating the battery then, it cannot produce waste heat at the same time as pushing the car forward. That might explain why it started so early. That is also assuming your battery was relatively cold to start, say under 80F.

I observed a very odd behavior over Labor Day weekend. I started a roadtrip at nearly 100% soc. I set navigation and it set my first charging stop about 250 miles away. It began preconditioning with over 90% soc… still over 200 miles away. I felt it was waaaay too soon to start that….and a waste of energy too. So I ended up canceling my navigation to stop the conditioning and turned it back on when I was 60 miles out. I’ve since had a couple of otas with bug fixes. Maybe that cured it but wondering if anyone else noticed this behavior?
I've noticed a similar thing with my Model Y. On a trip from Connecticut to New York I started our with a full charge (323 mile range indicated). The car immediately started preconditioning the battery for supercharging even though I was 250 miles from the Supercharger. My Wh/m was very high - in the range of 500 +/- and my range was dropping precipitously and there was no way I was going to make it to the planned Supercharger. I ended up turning off the entire trip navigation and instead just navigated to the vicinity of the Supercharger, then navigating to the Supercharger when I was within 15 miles. I never noticed this behavior with my model 3. I took a picture of the display and sent it to Tesla, but got no response. Here's the picture - note that it shows 322 miles of range, yet it is "Preconditioning the battery for fast Supercharging", and the outside temp is 57 deg - not particularly cold.
IMG_5696.jpeg

Reactions: Spuzzz
"there was no way I was going to make it to the planned Supercharger" : That would have been if the car would have continued to pull that much power. As I explained higher up, it doesn't. IT uses power for a few minutes then stops while the battery warms using the already generated heat. That cycle repeats a few times. I'm sure the car would not use additional power and get you stranded because of that. IT made you afraid that you might not make it, that I understand :p

Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV
I've noticed a similar thing with my Model Y. On a trip from Connecticut to New York I started our with a full charge (323 mile range indicated). The car immediately started preconditioning the battery for supercharging even though I was 250 miles from the Supercharger.
I've noticed the same thing. It's weird. Also, although navigating to the supercharger, it won't catch that I've arrived and it'll give me the "navigate to SC for faster charging" warning, even though I did. It'll also sometimes tell me that I have enough range to get to my next destination even though I haven't put in a destination.