Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it’s not cold enough to precondition in the morning? I will turn on climate 5-15 minutes before I leave and it hasn’t had the red battery icon since it warmed up here.
Are you setting navigation for the supercharger? That’s the only time my car preconditions before charging - and it usually has to precondition for a while at highway speeds to get high charge speeds.

My model 3 does not precondition when I turn on the climate control on a morning and I have now discovered it does not precondition when I am about to use a super charger has anyone else had this problem.🤔
As others suggest, now it has warmed up, preconditioning won’t happen. It still takes a little while to build to full regen braking once you set off, even though it is warmer now.

To precondition for a supercharger, the supercharger has to be selected as your destination in the navigation. And well in advance of arriving there.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: chrstna4
My 2021 Model Y is no longer advising me that it needs to precondition the batteries when I am navigating to a Supercharger location. Is this likely the result of a software update or is there likely something wrong that I need to take it in for service?

Neither, probably... its more likely because its warmer outside so takes less time for the battery to get to an appropriate temp for supercharging (meaning pre conditioning is not needed right now).

I was at the Tesla Service Center in Raleigh today and ask the service advisor the same question and he gave me the same answers that the members gave me. That with the hot weather no pre-conditioning is not required as when the car is doing this it is warming up the batteries for Supercharger charging.

Thank you for the useful answers that you gave me.

Only had my tesla a week so still very new. I set my car to precondition yesterday before work and got better range. I thought I had turned it off as I was using motorbike today but it appears I didnt. When I left this morning I could hear the car conditioning. I went in to the car and again turned off the schedule leaving but the car has continued to make a noise for about 30 mins. Will it stop as I am not using the car today? TIA

After the AC has been used, the car might continue (30mins?) running the fan to dry the evaporator coil. That's normal.

The target temperature for battery heating when conditioning the cabin has changed over time I think. It might be around 70F maximum. Most probably your battery is already at 70F in the morning these days. The target battery temp might be even lower than 70F, I don't remember and am not in my car right now. You would need to use ScanMyTesla to verify.

Similarly, the target temp for supercharging might have changed. I'm under the impression it was around 40-45C (104-113F) the last time I supercharged, but I'm not 100% sure. Again, if the battery is warm enough, it won't do anything.

Unless you are seeing inexplicable slow supercharging, I would presume the BMS is doing its thing as intended and wouldn't worry.