Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wasting energy this way, as the efficiency drops off as you reduce current for a few reasons. I^2R losses are minimal. Try cleaning out the connectors.
I tried cleaning the connectors with alcohol and a swab. My worry was fire as the cable and connector were seriously hot at 80A - too hot to comfortably touch with a bare hand. This doesn't seem to uncommon as there are other threads on here about this. Here is just one thread which is a few years old but it is about the time I got my car/HPWC which was Dec 2014. Maybe it was always like this but I didn't notice since I rarely touched the handle while charging.

I tried cleaning the connectors with alcohol and a swab. My worry was fire as the cable and connector were seriously hot at 80A - too hot to comfortably touch with a bare hand. This doesn't seem to uncommon as there are other threads on here about this. Here is just one thread which is a few years old but it is about the time I got my car/HPWC which was Dec 2014. Maybe it was always like this but I didn't notice since I rarely touched the handle while charging.

I have a Gen2, handle is barely warm to the touch at 80A.

Reactions: David99
Was your battery full? You also get limited regen if your battery > 95% fully charged.
Maybe this will answer your question:

Attachments

• IMG_8207.PNG
    IMG_8207.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Looks like this feature (for whatever it did before) got unreleased? Or the temperature thresholds have moved further into irrelevance?

Regen limiting has been made more aggressive, now the visible indication (half yellow dashed) is up from 15C to ~19.2C average cell temperature.

I see no preheating with pack temperatures around 10C. At this temperature my car shows about 80% regen limited.

I've only seen the battery heater work automatically at the start of the drive when the car was cold soaked at 0C (sorry didn't get a canbus reading).

More data to follow as the temperatures keep falling...

Last edited:
Looks like this feature (for whatever it did before) got unreleased? Or the temperature thresholds have moved further into irrelevance?

Regen limiting has been made more aggressive, now the visible indication (half yellow dashed) is up from 15C to ~19.2C average cell temperature.

I see no preheating with pack temperatures around 10C. At this temperature my car shows about 80% regen limited.

I've only seen the battery heater work automatically at the start of the drive when the car was cold soaked at 0C (sorry didn't get a canbus).

More data to follow as the temperatures keep falling...

I have can bus on my model 3 and with that data I can say that Regen is there at 19C cell temperature at 90% SOC I get 10 dots 41.7kw limit.

Battery heating runs while driving at -7C battery temperature or below most of the time. While plugged in and charging it's almost always up to 10C also when preheating and plugged in. I think higher when supercharging.

Don't have data on model S and x. I wonder about the differences.

Edit: from your no preheating at 10C seems like that part might be similar.

I have can bus on my model 3 and with that data I can say that Regen is there at 19C cell temperature at 90% SOC I get 10 dots 41.7kw limit.

Battery heating runs while driving at -7C battery temperature or below most of the time. While plugged in and charging it's almost always up to 10C also when preheating and plugged in. I think higher when supercharging.

Don't have data on model S and x. I wonder about the differences.

Edit: from your no preheating at 10C seems like that part might be similar.
I don’t have bus access on my X, but I can say that in two years, I’ve never seen the app display the battery preheat icon when I check the app, regardless of temp (observed down to -20C).

I don’t have bus access on my X, but I can say that in two years, I’ve never seen the app display the battery preheat icon when I check the app, regardless of temp (observed down to -20C).

Interesting. Model 3 doesn't ever display the icon but will definitely run battery heating while charging if the battery is cold (you can see the front and rear motor power and stator temperature and battery inlet temperature go up).

Will run it while driving and very cold. I have yet to see it running while parked and unplugged, my guess is it doesn't.

If your pack is really that cold, it will turn on. However, it takes a minute+ for it to both activate and to show up in the UI, so you have to re-open the app to check later.

Welp, I was hoping that the Schedule Departure would give me back my regen in winter. No such luck though.
00DE994A-5247-4775-9F4C-5B4626DF03A7.jpeg
D94C6059-428C-4ED2-8B8A-3A1361E15AB1.jpeg
Top pic is when I got in a couple minutes after my set departure time. Time & temp are in the pic, as well as my regen only being about 33% of max.
Bottom pic is at the end of my commute, again time and temp as noted. Only just got my regen fully back, but since I’m at my destination, it’s kinda moot.

Welp, I was hoping that the Schedule Departure would give me back my regen in winter. No such luck though.
View attachment 479514
View attachment 479518
Top pic is when I got in a couple minutes after my set departure time. Time & temp are in the pic, as well as my regen only being about 33% of max.
Bottom pic is at the end of my commute, again time and temp as noted. Only just got my regen fully back, but since I’m at my destination, it’s kinda moot.

The battery only heats up to ~10C while charging, which is enough to provide roughly the amount of regen you're seeing. How much regen do you get if you don't precondition or charge prior to departing?