Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S still on .42 and an X on .50.1 - no difference between available features - my guess is that once you activate climate it automatically senses if the battery needs heated and kicks in if so...I don't see anything on my X page of the app that says the status of the battery pack temp.

Is there a control in the app? I can’t find it or is it based on just turning on climate control? I’m on .50.1 just updated the app but don’t see a specific control.

Same here. My car is on .50 and I just updated the app (like 2 minutes ago) and I don't see anything in the app (Android) to allow me to preheat the battery. Does it just happen when you tell it to preheat the car? That's one thing I haven't tried yet though.

• Love
Reactions: Imafrog
I have an S still on .42 and an X on .50.1 - no difference between available features - my guess is that once you activate climate it automatically senses if the battery needs heated and kicks in if so...I don't see anything on my X page of the app that says the status of the battery pack temp.
I believe this is what Tesla intended by the way they wrote the app update description.
When you activate climate control from the app, if the car is plugged in, the battery will preheat.

I activated it on my S at the end of the work day today and I did see a different icon appear in the center of the screen on the Climate page of the app. In practice I did not really notice much difference in the state of battery by the time I got outside and got in the car. At work I do not have my car plugged in and it was close to freezing outside today here in Michigan and the car sat outside in the cold for 8 hours or so.

I'm not sure if it works to heat the battery when you're not plugged in... I only let it set for about 20 minutes which is generally plenty of time to heat the inside of the cabin, but as I said, still no where near long enough (apparently) to heat up the battery as my regen was still reduced due to a cold battery. I suppose I'll have to see how it works the next time I go to work and activate it while it's still plugged in to the charger I have at home.

Is there a control in the app? I can’t find it or is it based on just turning on climate control? I’m on .50.1 just updated the app but don’t see a specific control.

Here is what is on Electrek.co:

In order to activate it, it looks like the vehicle needs to be around freezing temperature and then this new icon appears in the climate control section of the app:

tesla-battery-preheating-icon.jpg

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I believe this is what Tesla intended by the way they wrote the app update description.
When you activate climate control from the app, if the car is plugged in, the battery will preheat.

...a feature that they introduced in 2013 with the first version of the App.

Based on the Electrek post, maybe they’ve simply added a display so you can tell it’s on remotely.

Reactions: David99
This is what I see on my app while plugged in at home. I'll have to check to see how it looks when not connected to my charger...and to check if it is actually warming up the battery before heading out. it's only 33 degrees here in Michigan right now so I'm sure as I'm running around the battery will get cold again.

upload_2017-12-23_13-1-52.png

This is what I see on my app while plugged in at home. I'll have to check to see how it looks when not connected to my charger...and to check if it is actually warming up the battery before heading out. it's only 33 degrees here in Michigan right now so I'm sure as I'm running around the battery will get cold again.

The next time you preheat, can you go to the car and check the settings to see if the new feature turns off range mode if you have it on. Also check to see if the firmware turns range mode back on if they turned it off for battery preheating.

Range mode reduces the amperage to the battery so it does not heat up as fast. I usually forget to turn it off when I get home to charge the car.