Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery problem service required et all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been a crazy couple of days with the Silver Surfer. I have been driving it quite a bit lately and other than Powertrain Failure but temps have been cool so I ignored it until it went away. Two days ago, I was working on my PEM and I got a very small spark near the 12v inputs with my probes. Later that day I heard a beep and noticed a fault. Turned key on and things got crazy. BSM sheet alarm, Battery Failure Service required, Battery service required, backup power activated, shutting down, charge immediately, this unit will self destruct!

I watched my range go from 170 to 85 to 9 in about 10 minutes and then back up to 169. I checked vitals and saw vmin 3.69 and vmax 4.24! I was pretty sure my project car was done for:(

But, I keep poking and prodding. Checked fuses in PEM. Pulled battery disconnect a few times. Things stabilized on the range and my vmin/vmax was back to normal at around 4.03/4.05. Then I decided to check battery voltage compared to the vds showed. I had wired in a 4 pin plug that I can activate my contactors and another for the precharger. The - worked but + did not. So, I pulled my handy dandy plexi cover off my ESS and checked fuses. I cut the leads I had installed to my 4 pin and I tried to manually activate it from in the cab with 12v's. It would close but it would bounce right back open continuously. I pulled & replugged the disconnect plug and and my fault was gone. Now I was getting contactor failure messages. I noticed a freyed wire on the wire leading to the contactor....repaired it. Turned on key, no faults, goes in to gear and drives.....

FYI I had purchased a set of new contactors out of a P90 Ludicrous when I first put the battery in and the system did not like them....would not work. Seems like it is pretty sensitive about those.

Now I'll hold my breath and put some more miles on her and see what happens.

20180408_153109.jpg

Reactions: Rolf68