Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my MS for about 3 months now, and is starting to have some battery problems.

My charge cycle is roughly from 30% to 90%, never above the 90% recommended. Recently, I noticed the suggested mileage shown when at 90% starts to drop, from 406km to now 404km. On top of that, as soon as I drive away from charge station, the suggested mileage drops quickly from 404km to 399km in just 500m.

Have reported to Service Hotline and waiting for a reply from their technicians. Anyone has experienced similar problems?

I start to monitor the actual and suggested mileage since this problem. Currently, the ratio is about 65%. I am not an aggressive driver at all. Is this ratio considered normal?

it seems a little on the high side, but do bear in mind that the remaining range shown on your screen isn't JUST how much battery is left, but it uses an algorithm to calculate it based on battery level, how much energy your average driving has been, how hot the batteries are and how much aircon you need in the cabin.

whilst waiting for the service hotline to get back to you (they have access to your driving behaviours and battery status log), you could consider changing the settings to show battery% left, instead of estimated range. use it for a few more days and see if the % figure show any abnormaly

Thanks Ediot, I set it to battery% as u suggested and just don't want to worry about the problem anymore. Still getting around 65% out of the juice... Tesla Customer Service never calls back, which sucks.... Called them again, and they said they company is constantly monitoring battery status of all Tesla models. They will be alerted in real time any battery failure or abnormality. Will see how it goes in a few months.

I have my S60 around 2 years by now. And interestingly my 90% range increased twice. I remember it was 256 km to begin with. Then after the torque sleep update, it became 278 km, now it's 280 km

I guess I got the extra 2 km as I accelerate less aggressively nowadays. I believe the estimated range is calculated like ediot said and the car may not have stable numbers to base its calculations on as it's only 3 months new

Another point is you may wish to reset the charge level to 90% again by the button, may have accidentally changed a tiny bit