Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am fairly new here and do not know if these questions have been asked earlier. My order was placed for a late July delivery (my current Lexus lease expires then). I have asked this question of two Tesla employees and have gotten two different answers: About a decade or so from now, when it comes time to replace by 70kw battery, will it be possible to replace it with a higher capacity battery at that time? For example, if the 70kw replacement were to become 75kw and the higher end battery replacement will be 120 kw, could I purchase the 120kw replacement at that time?

if you currently own an 85, you can upgrade it to a 90...the upgrade now is only for 85 owners, but costs 20k.

I understand that there really is no physical or mechanical reason that would limit an upgrade - only marketing reasons.

Tesla has consistently said that will be possible, and regular battery replacements have happened, mostly as warranty replacements. FWIW replacing the S batteries takes only a few minutes, but if recalibration of anything is required that can take as much as a day or so, I'm told.

Given the pace of development I wonder how many of us will want to keep the same car that long. It will be interesting to find out.

While there are no guarantees it seems rather likely that there will be possibilities for upgrading in the a bit further out future. I'd say this though: with the tempo of innovation I'm not sure you're going to want to spend any money on the car once it 8-10 years old.