Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range 2016 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 (refresh) 90D with 54,000 miles. I've got the battery indicator on the display set to display miles, not charge percent. Fully charged it says I should get 270 miles. When the car was new it read about 290 miles. That's not the problem. Lately, my actual range is around 200 miles on a full charge. The battery display used to be pretty accurate, but it seems I'm usually using about 30% more battery than I should. I'm mostly driving on the highway, it's not winter or mountainous. Previously, the battery display was a good indicator of my range. Now, not only is it inaccurate, for some reason the range is much worse. I always practiced good battery management, rarely charging to 100%. About 95% of the time I charged my car at home, not a lot of supercharging.

Early 2016 pre-refresh here. ~75,000km. Full charge is ~423km on 100%. Not more than ~20 supercharger session in 6years most 10-20% up to 50-80%.
Originally car said 460km range. However my real world range has not changed much since the car was 6 months old.

I have a 2016 (refresh) 90D with 54,000 miles. I've got the battery indicator on the display set to display miles, not charge percent. Fully charged it says I should get 270 miles. When the car was new it read about 290 miles. That's not the problem. Lately, my actual range is around 200 miles on a full charge. The battery display used to be pretty accurate, but it seems I'm usually using about 30% more battery than I should. I'm mostly driving on the highway, it's not winter or mountainous. Previously, the battery display was a good indicator of my range. Now, not only is it inaccurate, for some reason the range is much worse. I always practiced good battery management, rarely charging to 100%. About 95% of the time I charged my car at home, not a lot of supercharging.
I have the same car, except in white. Could one of the brake calipers be frozen and stuck rubbing against a disk? That would affect actual mileage.

Early 2016 pre-refresh here. ~75,000km. Full charge is ~423km on 100%. Not more than ~20 supercharger session in 6years most 10-20% up to 50-80%.
Originally car said 460km range. However my real world range has not changed much since the car was 6 months old.
Very similar car here, early 2016 90D with 89.000 km. Full charge is around 440 km. Very little supercharging the last two years, no idea about the first four years, as I got the car used from Tesla in 2020. Real world mileage is a bit higher than 440 km.

Very similar car here, early 2016 90D with 89.000 km. Full charge is around 440 km. Very little supercharging the last two years, no idea about the first four years, as I got the car used from Tesla in 2020. Real world mileage is a bit higher than 440 km.
For me to get a real word 440km it would need to be 12-16o and sunny or 16-21o and low humidity overcast plus I would have to drive at <90kmh!

Late 2016 90D here, with a little over 100,000km on the clock. When charged to 100% it showed 415-420km when I bought it in 2018, now 400-405.
Real world pretty close to that, maybe a little more. Rarely supercharged, mostly slow charging overnight at home (at least during my ownership)

I have a 2016 MS 90D pre-refresh. Estimated full range is 262 but I never drive down from 100 to 0ish. Most I have gone is 100 to 20 and that was 184 miles so that would put me at about 230 ranges if I had gone down to zero but it was highway miles at slightly above posted speed limit. Speed (therefor air resistance) makes a big difference in range if you are worried about range then slow down a few mph. here are some of my longer duration trips and energy used:
1659983180880.png

Also, I'd say you would want to get your battery as low as you feel comfortable (0-10%) and then charge it to 100% if you havent done it in a long time so your car can know it's limits.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
For me to get a real word 440km it would need to be 12-16o and sunny or 16-21o and low humidity overcast plus I would have to drive at <90kmh!
I get that range if I am not on my winter tires (at least 20% less with winter tires). I am in a mild weather section of British Columbia, so 10°C to 25°C comprises most of the year for me. Also, we have a 90 km limit in most areas I regularly drive. Further, most of my driving is not on the freeway but inner-city and back roads, so "high" speed driving is not a use case that I see to often. In ideal weather, I have seen 420 km driven with 75 km remaining in the battery - but that is really rare.