Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range for Perf Model Y with 19” Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2021 Performance Model Y and replaced factory 21” Wheels with 19” Wheels from T-sportsline. I changed the wheel size settings in the car to 19” Gemini and rebooted. It still shows max range is approx 300 miles at 100% charge on the battery meter. Should that now have updated to show closer to 326 as the LR MY? Isn’t a performance MY with 19” wheels essentially the same as LR MY with 19” wheels? Any insights as to why the range hasn’t increased?

The system isn't that smart, from what I understand the efficiency is hard coded and it just takes that efficiency and multiplies it by your current battery capacity to give you your rated range. Telling it what wheel / tires you are running just makes it so the speedometer and odometer are correct and it may also keeps the traction control from freaking out since you are no longer running staggered tire sizes front to back. The Performance rear tires are half an inch larger than the fronts, not sure if that requires different calibration of the traction control / ABS systems compared to the Gemini size wheels and tires.

Did you get average wh/mile numbers for your car on any specific drive that you do on a regular basis? Did the wh/mile go down now that you have the 19's?

Later,

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: ToasterStrudel
The system isn't that smart, from what I understand the efficiency is hard coded and it just takes that efficiency and multiplies it by your current battery capacity to give you your estimated range. Telling it what wheel / tires you are running just makes it so the speedometer and odometer are correct.

Did you get average wh/mile numbers for your car on any specific drive that you do on a regular basis? Did the wh/mile go down now that you have the 19's?

Later,

Keith

I swapped tires right away after delivery so I didn’t get a chance to check if the wh/mile changed. Do you think the efficiency is hard coded differently for the performance model vs LR AWD and therefore I will never see 326 miles for 100% charge? Just want to make sure I don’t have a battery capacity issue.

I swapped tires right away after delivery so I didn’t get a chance to check if the wh/mile changed. Do you think the efficiency is hard coded differently for the performance model vs LR AWD and therefore I will never see 326 miles for 100% charge? Just want to make sure I don’t have a battery capacity issue.

From what I have read, it just takes that hard coded wh/mile rating and multiplies it by battery capacity. All the knowledge here is hearsay and speculation, but you can check by just swapping the wheel/tire package in the car computer system and re-boot and see how many miles it says you have. Since that number is a complete fantasy anyway I will never worry about it.

Keith

From what I have read, it just takes that hard coded wh/mile rating and multiplies it by battery capacity. All the knowledge here is hearsay and speculation, but you can check by just swapping the wheel/tire package in the car computer system and re-boot and see how many miles it says you have. Since that number is a complete fantasy anyway I will never worry about it.

Keith
Yup, I did the wheel swap in car computer system settings several times with reboots and no change in estimated miles. Strange?

Reactions: Bossdaddy
So I went the other way I put Uberturbines on MY LR and when I was picking theses wheels in setting I was notified that my range will decrease.
So for you it may increase to MY LR range, but it depends how hard you jam that Gas pedal on MYP :)

Reactions: Daekwan
Not sure if the computer will ever show updated range. I think you need to go out and drive it to get it to change if at all. On my 3 swapping to 18 Aeros for 20s oddly showed higher estimated mileage but it took actually driving it to do so.
At any rate even if it never does visually update your real world efficiency will change thus giving you better mileage.

I know two friends that swapped the 21" P tires/wheels for the 19" LR tires/wheels and they see a net gain in the efficiency wh/mi numbers as displayed in the Energy Screen. And got more range in real-world driving. The number by the battery icon is some formula hard coded to the software.
Thanks. I wonder what is the purpose of changing the tire size in the cad software if it doesn’t do anything?

I played around with changing the setting. I have 19" tires now. Changing to 21" greatly reduced the displayed miles. I'm not sure why it wouldn't happen the other way.

Possibly needs you to force the reboot? I think mine had to reboot to make a difference.

20" vs 19" was zero difference.

Our 2021 Model Y Performance Uberturbine wheels were getting badly rashed and were cracking in small potholes, tires were also getting shredded, which is not an uncommon occurrence with this setup since there isnt enough meat on these rims to survive 2 inch+ potholes. I made sure to speak with our local Tesla service department and ensured to follow their directions exactly on how to rest the system for 19inch rims and the correct non staggered tire set up. With the uberturbines we were getting 301 miles of range the first year and always ensured to charge according to our Tesla dealer’s directions for day charging etc., we have only supercharged a few times. Once we made the change to 6061 alloy forged flow 19 inch rims from T-Sportline with 19th Michelin Pilot 4 all season tires our (installation done at Costco) max battery range dropped to 286 miles immediately and has also more recently dropped to circa 275 miles of max range, which is nearly a 10pct loss of battery capacity. Thus far, our local dealer has no explanation for the range loss. Does anyone have experience and/or explanation of what the issue could be ?

Our 2021 Model Y Performance Uberturbine wheels were getting badly rashed and were cracking in small potholes, tires were also getting shredded, which is not an uncommon occurrence with this setup since there isnt enough meat on these rims to survive 2 inch+ potholes. I made sure to speak with our local Tesla service department and ensured to follow their directions exactly on how to rest the system for 19inch rims and the correct non staggered tire set up. With the uberturbines we were getting 301 miles of range the first year and always ensured to charge according to our Tesla dealer’s directions for day charging etc., we have only supercharged a few times. Once we made the change to 6061 alloy forged flow 19 inch rims from T-Sportline with 19th Michelin Pilot 4 all season tires our (installation done at Costco) max battery range dropped to 286 miles immediately and has also more recently dropped to circa 275 miles of max range, which is nearly a 10pct loss of battery capacity. Thus far, our local dealer has no explanation for the range loss. Does anyone have experience and/or explanation of what the issue could be ?
I have noticed the same issue and range loss. I’m assuming this isn’t normal.

my range on my 2021 MYP with 28,500 miles is between 265 to 270 miles at 100% and that’s using superchargers at about 17% when I travel from Orlando to Miami on a regular basis. At one point it was at 295 at full charge about 6 months ago the range dramatically dropped off to 257 miles 100%. I spoke with Tesla service and they did an analysis on the battery and said that the cabin heat protection was consuming a lot of energy as well as sentry mode. This made the computer think that I was using more energy so it recalibrated the range down. At work my car would sit for 12 to 14 hours a day in the parking lot in the heat which kept the ac on. Tesla said to cut off cabin protection and that my range would go back up but not to the previous range of 295 miles at 100 %. It took about a good month to see any increase in range. In conclusion, he said my battery was in good shape and that the battery indicator is just an estimate and to use % only for a better reading. Hope this helps.

I believe what one would need to do is drive a known route at a constant speed (assumes all other conditions are the same) with the 21s and record the data displayed in both the TRIP and Energy screens, then repeat the test with the smaller tires/wheels and compare the data.

That's my plan for my PMY I'll pick up on Thurs. I'll also conduct some DRAGY BEFORE and AFTER tests to see how the 18" 245/50-ZR18s I bought from TSportLine compare to the OEM 21s.

That number next to battery ICON is virtually useless for "real world" range estimations.

Reactions: Bossdaddy
I believe what one would need to do is drive a known route at a constant speed (assumes all other conditions are the same) with the 21s and record the data displayed in both the TRIP and Energy screens, then repeat the test with the smaller tires/wheels and compare the data.

That's my plan for my PMY I'll pick up on Thurs. I'll also conduct some DRAGY BEFORE and AFTER tests to see how the 18" 245/50-ZR18s I bought from TSportLine compare to the OEM 21s.

That number next to battery ICON is virtually useless for "real world" range estimations.
What was your experience please? Range, acceleration and ride comfort