Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range for Perf Model Y with 19” Wheels

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
Hi,

I have a 2021 Performance Model Y and replaced factory 21” Wheels with 19” Wheels from T-sportsline. I changed the wheel size settings in the car to 19” Gemini and rebooted. It still shows max range is approx 300 miles at 100% charge on the battery meter. Should that now have updated to show closer to 326 as the LR MY? Isn’t a performance MY with 19” wheels essentially the same as LR MY with 19” wheels? Any insights as to why the range hasn’t increased?

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
North East Arkansas
The system isn't that smart, from what I understand the efficiency is hard coded and it just takes that efficiency and multiplies it by your current battery capacity to give you your rated range. Telling it what wheel / tires you are running just makes it so the speedometer and odometer are correct and it may also keeps the traction control from freaking out since you are no longer running staggered tire sizes front to back. The Performance rear tires are half an inch larger than the fronts, not sure if that requires different calibration of the traction control / ABS systems compared to the Gemini size wheels and tires.

Did you get average wh/mile numbers for your car on any specific drive that you do on a regular basis? Did the wh/mile go down now that you have the 19's?

Later,

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: ToasterStrudel

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
The system isn't that smart, from what I understand the efficiency is hard coded and it just takes that efficiency and multiplies it by your current battery capacity to give you your estimated range. Telling it what wheel / tires you are running just makes it so the speedometer and odometer are correct.

Did you get average wh/mile numbers for your car on any specific drive that you do on a regular basis? Did the wh/mile go down now that you have the 19's?

Later,

Keith

I swapped tires right away after delivery so I didn’t get a chance to check if the wh/mile changed. Do you think the efficiency is hard coded differently for the performance model vs LR AWD and therefore I will never see 326 miles for 100% charge? Just want to make sure I don’t have a battery capacity issue.

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
North East Arkansas
I swapped tires right away after delivery so I didn’t get a chance to check if the wh/mile changed. Do you think the efficiency is hard coded differently for the performance model vs LR AWD and therefore I will never see 326 miles for 100% charge? Just want to make sure I don’t have a battery capacity issue.

From what I have read, it just takes that hard coded wh/mile rating and multiplies it by battery capacity. All the knowledge here is hearsay and speculation, but you can check by just swapping the wheel/tire package in the car computer system and re-boot and see how many miles it says you have. Since that number is a complete fantasy anyway I will never worry about it.

Keith

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
From what I have read, it just takes that hard coded wh/mile rating and multiplies it by battery capacity. All the knowledge here is hearsay and speculation, but you can check by just swapping the wheel/tire package in the car computer system and re-boot and see how many miles it says you have. Since that number is a complete fantasy anyway I will never worry about it.

Keith
Yup, I did the wheel swap in car computer system settings several times with reboots and no change in estimated miles. Strange?

zpaul

Apr 23, 2021
Maryland
So I went the other way I put Uberturbines on MY LR and when I was picking theses wheels in setting I was notified that my range will decrease.
So for you it may increase to MY LR range, but it depends how hard you jam that Gas pedal on MYP :)

JBT66

Oct 26, 2018
Florida
Not sure if the computer will ever show updated range. I think you need to go out and drive it to get it to change if at all. On my 3 swapping to 18 Aeros for 20s oddly showed higher estimated mileage but it took actually driving it to do so.
At any rate even if it never does visually update your real world efficiency will change thus giving you better mileage.

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
I know two friends that swapped the 21" P tires/wheels for the 19" LR tires/wheels and they see a net gain in the efficiency wh/mi numbers as displayed in the Energy Screen. And got more range in real-world driving. The number by the battery icon is some formula hard coded to the software.

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
I know two friends that swapped the 21" P tires/wheels for the 19" LR tires/wheels and they see a net gain in the efficiency wh/mi numbers as displayed in the Energy Screen. And got more range in real-world driving. The number by the battery icon is some formula hard coded to the software.
Thanks. I wonder what is the purpose of changing the tire size in the cad software if it doesn’t do anything?

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
I played around with changing the setting. I have 19" tires now. Changing to 21" greatly reduced the displayed miles. I'm not sure why it wouldn't happen the other way.

Possibly needs you to force the reboot? I think mine had to reboot to make a difference.

20" vs 19" was zero difference.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC