Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range - not looking like 310

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.. no, this is NOT the reason for it. It is to protect the electronics. Cabin temperature of 105 degrees will still harm a child or animal.
Directly from Tesla:
Cabin Overheat Protection.png

Software 8.1 is Here

Quick follow-up question about Cabin Overheat Protection. I see there is an option to enable it with and without A/C. What do people generally use? I'm in Florida where it's freakishly hot and humid. Will it even work without AC, presumably just using fans? Assume using A/C costs more energy? Appreciate your thoughts.

Quick follow-up question about Cabin Overheat Protection. I see there is an option to enable it with and without A/C. What do people generally use? I'm in Florida where it's freakishly hot and humid. Will it even work without AC, presumably just using fans? Assume using A/C costs more energy? Appreciate your thoughts.
There's an ON setting (which uses A/C) and a Fan Only setting. Both will keep the car cooler than turning it off, A/C obviously works faster and better but with a larger hit to the battery.

Reactions: dixosw
If the threshold is 105F then it works if outside air is less than 105F

Reactions: dixosw
I had always enabled the A/C when using the overheat protection. But it was when my car was at home trickle charging with the UMC at those times. I've since disabled the protection and now keep my windows slightly cracked open during the day if the car is left in the sun (and not charging). When away from home I use the phone app to turn on the climate control a couple of minutes before driving off.

My guess is that the fan only setting draws in outside air, which should be cooler than the interior with all the windows rolled up. I'm also assuming that there's a vent built into the body somewhere which allows some of the inside air to escape. Otherwise all you're doing is circulating hot air around and around.

I'm in CA where it hasn't gotten above 100F in the month that I've had the car so maybe you can't apply this in FL.

It’s very hot, but hopefully cool enough to keep them alive. I think this could be combined with the internal camera or seat sensors to have a great solution to a forgotten child or pet.
Seat sensor is a great idea. dog/cat running around causing weight and/or the child still having weight on the seat should send an alert to your phone or something. the sensor would have to account for the child seat though.

My experiments I conducted earlier this year leaving my (garaged) Model S 75D unplugged for 2-5 days at a time using various combinations of settings and (for me) dash cams. Your results may vary but might have some useful information for you and others. Posted it elsewhere but adding it to this relevant thread.

Tesla Vampire Drain Experiments.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 26