Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range - not looking like 310

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I ask for it?
My car is always in a garage, no more than 80 degrees so don't see why cabin overheat would be kicking in, but I'll disable it anyway. (No kids yet!)

Your car should automatically inform you of a software update. Should be on a I had to do a reboot of the system before I got notified of the 2018.26.3 software release.

The range is actually better in stop and go traffic. The car loses charge even when the car is parked and no one is in it.

Tesla recommends that the car is plugged in whenever possible when it is not being driven. See the owners manual.

It is important to ask "compared to what?". Driving at a constant 25-30mph will typically get you more range than being stopped, moving a few feet, and being stopped again. Especially when climate control is working.

Note that cabin overheat protection only works for up to 12 hours after you exit the vehicle. If the car is parked for longer than 12 hours, it will not continue the overheat protection. So for sake of safety reasons, you may just want to leave the cabin overheat protection turned on. Because it's there in case of the unthinkable, which you never could imagine leaving your child or pet in the car. But it happens.

If you can plug the car in at home, you should just leave the car plugged in. This way it'll keep the car charged at 80% at all time. Tesla advises you only charge to 100% the night before if you are planning to go on a long trip. Think of the car like your iphone/droid. You leave the phone sitting there unplugged for days, it's gonna drain. Most people are used to plugging their phone in every night. You just gotta get used to doing the same for your car to get the most ideal range every day.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I've had my car about 2 weeks now, just charged it once - up to like 270 miles of range. I've driven less than 50 miles since then and the range is now down to 163 miles! What is going on? I am in a lot of stop and go traffic - does it make that much of a difference? I do have the full regen braking.

Does the range estimate ever adjust based on driving history? Or does it always assume you will be driving on an open freeway? That's kind of dangerous if you are low on range in an urban area. It doesn't seem to be reliable.
Yesterday morning we charged to 90 percent, let the car sit for around 5 hours then drove off. After driving two miles the range was down 14 miles. It’s really bad.

I’d say for every 10 miles of range we probably drive 7 miles.. I always found EPA ratings ridiculous but here I think it’s definitely more ridiculous than usual.

With record heats even when garaged the car loses 5-7mi easily per day.. not sure if the consumption stats in the car showing how many KWH used since last charge account for the vampire losses or only driving energy used..
Definitely doesn’t show vampire drain loss. I can see averages of 245 watts per mile yet lost like 30 or 40 miles of range after driving 160 miles. E.g. drive 160 miles but lost 200 mile of range... in two days or three days tops

I am really thinking of escalating this... love the car but this is annoying.

Yesterday morning we charged to 90 percent, let the car sit for around 5 hours then drove off. After driving two miles the range was down 14 miles. It’s really bad.

I’d say for every 10 miles of range we probably drive 7 miles.. I always found EPA ratings ridiculous but here I think it’s definitely more ridiculous than usual.
It kind of depends on how fast you are driving. When I first got the car, I was driving/accelerating a bit more enthusiastically. Now, after a few months, I’m more subdued and can get 240wh/mi or less on my commute.

Note that cabin overheat protection only works for up to 12 hours after you exit the vehicle. If the car is parked for longer than 12 hours, it will not continue the overheat protection. So for sake of safety reasons, you may just want to leave the cabin overheat protection turned on. Because it's there in case of the unthinkable, which you never could imagine leaving your child or pet in the car. But it happens.

If you can plug the car in at home, you should just leave the car plugged in. This way it'll keep the car charged at 80% at all time. Tesla advises you only charge to 100% the night before if you are planning to go on a long trip. Think of the car like your iphone/droid. You leave the phone sitting there unplugged for days, it's gonna drain. Most people are used to plugging their phone in every night. You just gotta get used to doing the same for your car to get the most ideal range every day.
I Totally understand that the car is a smart device and need some electricity even when idled. I have no objection with that.

What I object with is the amount of electricity that it needs. If something like heat protection is turned on.. OK I totally get it that takes a lot of energy.

But many of us (despite not using heat protection) are experiencing 10 miles per day or more of energy loss (That’s a whopping 2.4 kWh)..

Which begs the question... Wtf is the app doing?!

• Funny
Reactions: anhnguyen
Hi, @devsters,

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your Model 3. :)

First and foremost, the biggest favor you are doing for yourself is paying attention to your range estimates and energy consumption.

Dunno how much you are reading these forums, so in case you aren't, the "vampire drain" posters above have mentioned is the name for the concept of an EV losing energy, say overnight, due to other activities going on in the car. For example, a car might have an over-active monitoring system that is waking up every few seconds to watch all the other devices in the car. It takes energy to wake up that monitoring system, and then energy to gather all the info, etc. That's probably not the best example in that the energy required for monitoring shouldn't be that much. But if the monitoring were mistakenly happening say, 10 times a second instead of once a minute, then a bunch of extra energy will be consumed.

A more likely candidate for vampire drain, mentioned by another poster, is that your car's Battery Management System (BMS) could be triggering a lot of battery pack cooling activity if you are living in a particularly warm area. Over the course of two weeks, additional BMS cooling activity could consume a pretty good chunk of energy.

As another poster hypothesized, you might be making small trips. Small trips use higher amounts of energy per mile than longer trips. That's because when you first start out, the car has lots of additional stuff to do to get ready and also the battery pack may need to be warmed (or cooled). If you watch your energy consumption graph/info, you'll see that early on you might be using, say, 400 wH per mile. When your Model 3 is hitting its stride, say after 5 miles, consumption should drop to maybe 250 wH per mile. I drive an S and when I first start out might be getting around 450-500 wH/mile, then after it settles down it might go down to 330 wH per mile. Your range estimate will then go down much faster than your actual miles driven.

If you drive aggressively, you will also use more energy per mile than if you drive gently. Range estimate will then decline faster than actual miles driven.

You might want to spend a few minutes examining all of the controls and settings to see if there are any surprises.

Having said all that, I respectfully disagree with an earlier poster who said that, "Letting it sit, there’s a lot of vampire drain." While that was true with earlier software releases, at this point, most (nearly all?) people posting about Model 3, S and X are reporting small or zero overnight drains. UNLESS cabin overheat protection is kicking on, or you're leaving the climate controls running, or you've left the car in fierce direct sunlight or otherwise in a hot area so that the BMS repeatedly kicks in to cool the battery.

Generally speaking, many (most?) owners leave their cars plugged in at night, so they have a "full" (say, 80% full, you can set the charging maximum as you wish) battery every morning. If you do that, you won't have much if any range anxiety during your typical day, although you might still want to watch the energy consumption.

Finally, there are posters on this forum who consistently achieve range significantly in excess of what Tesla advertises for the EPA ratings. They typically drive gently and in some cases also "hypermile". I am not one of these people. :)

Best of luck to you.

Alan
For sure this ^^
My car has sat for two days and has only lost 3 miles of range even when sat it Houston, TX temps.
On firmware 26.1

Reactions: Gavyne and alwaysru
Definitely doesn’t show vampire drain loss. I can see averages of 245 watts per mile yet lost like 30 or 40 miles of range after driving 160 miles. E.g. drive 160 miles but lost 200 mile of range... in two days or three days tops

I am really thinking of escalating this... love the car but this is annoying.
Any vampire drain would be reflected as soon as you turned on the car. If you're seeing a range drop after you started driving it's because of your driving style. AC, aggressive acceleration, high speed with all contribute to the range going down. You can definitely achieve or exceed 310 miles of range with efficient driving.

I don't follow that advice because other data (I'm not positive Tesla specific) show that small charges are inefficient.
thats ok, plenty of people dont follow what the manufacture says and its specified in the manual. if you think you know better than the company that builds the car and is the leading tech for battery manufacturing, more power to you

Reactions: xyeahtony
I might be wrong but when I kept the car plugged in and not driving for a few days it complained that it wasn't good for the battery.
Maybe that's when I was charging at 90%, if you keep it at 60-70% you might not get that warning?