Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range - not looking like 310

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be wrong but when I kept the car plugged in and not driving for a few days it complained that it wasn't good for the battery.
Maybe that's when I was charging at 90%, if you keep it at 60-70% you might not get that warning?

Found the picture luckily:

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.00.41 AM.png

thats ok, plenty of people dont follow what the manufacture says and its specified in the manual. if you think you know better than the company that builds the car and is the leading tech for battery manufacturing, more power to you
Straw man.

I accept that Tesla writes for the majority and convenience may trump efficiency. I have no problem paying attention to my battery SoC and charging as needed.

YMMV

Reactions: nvx1977
Is it possible the OP didn't close a door all the way or left a key card in the car? If the A/C was on and the door wasn't closed or the car didn't shut down, it could cause a lot of drain on the battery.

I know there's been one or two times where we didn't close the door all the way (Model S) and the car didn't shut down and we didn't notice until hours later when we went back to the garage and found the lights on and A/C still running.

Is it possible the OP didn't close a door all the way or left a key card in the car? If the A/C was on and the door wasn't closed or the car didn't shut down, it could cause a lot of drain on the battery.

I know there's been one or two times where we didn't close the door all the way (Model S) and the car didn't shut down and we didn't notice until hours later when we went back to the garage and found the lights on and A/C still running.

Yeah the M3 doors need a good push to close, many times my wife and I have left a door open in the garage and it drains pretty quickly! At a minimum the car should detect nobody is sitting on the seats and turn off lights and climate controls..

I might be wrong but when I kept the car plugged in and not driving for a few days it complained that it wasn't good for the battery.
Maybe that's when I was charging at 90%, if you keep it at 60-70% you might not get that warning?

Ideally you want to keep the battery between 30% - 80% to keep it healthy. Charging to 90% daily is not ideal unless you really need the range for your travels.

No that's not the culprit. Sounds like I just need to get used to normal battery drain when the car is parked over a weekend and not plugged in.

I guess losing charge to safeguard battery pack's life is a good tradeoff.. heard the Nissan Leafs had lots of degradation over time since no battery management system.
That vampire drain has a cost here at 23 cents / KWH at super off peak though.

Found the picture luckily:

View attachment 323754
No, that warning comes on if you've set the car at 100% charge for three days in a row. It does NOT come on at 90%. I kept my Model S charged to 90% for five years, and now my Model 3, and only got the warning on either car when we were on trips and I kept the charge set at 100%. By the way after five years of routinely charging to 90%, and to 100% when on trips, my Model S only lost 5% of range. Chill out about the battery, and enjoy the car.

Does it only occur at 100%, or anything over 90% for a few days? I'm wondering because it can be hard to precisely set the battery level when tapping the touch screen if you fiddle with it, so I could see someone setting it to 91% by accident.

No, that warning comes on if you've set the car at 100% charge for three days in a row. It does NOT come on at 90%. I kept my Model S charged to 90% for five years, and now my Model 3, and only got the warning on either car when we were on trips and I kept the charge set at 100%. By the way after five years of routinely charging to 90%, and to 100% when on trips, my Model S only lost 5% of range. Chill out about the battery, and enjoy the car.

was your S 60 a software limited battery?

I want to comment on reasons other than vampire drain. I had talked to Tesla about this while obsessing over my MX battery consumption and had done some analysis using my actual driving data.

Things that can increase your consumption while driving:
1. Elevation changes e.g. driving uphill on average consumes more
2. Speed. The faster you go, the higher the drag. In fact if you're driving towards a supercharger while running out of battery, you'll get warning messages "please drive under 55 mph if you want to reach your destination" (and the number keeps going down !). I think the penalty is a nonlinear one.
3. Windy conditions (if driving against the wind :))
4. Air Conditioning and heater usage. (In my car, heater seems to consume more than A/C cooling). If you call Tesla and ask, they are actually tracking consumption of your car separately for driving vs. A/C/heating
5. Spirited driving. When you turn on your energy consumption meter (I think it's on by default on M3) you can see how many kW you are consuming (or regenerating) any given moment. The regen can only regenerate up to xx kW (~60 on my mX) but while accelerating you can consume much more than that, so if you frequently accelerate quickly and then decelerate, the regen can't ever make up for all of the losses
6. Ambient temperatures if the battery pack needs to be heated/cooled
7. Total weight. More passengers, heavy cargo should increase consumption
8. Stop and go. While driving in traffic should theoretically give you lower avg consumption (because of more regen and less top speed), getting the car to start moving from a complete stop takes a lot of energy initially. Personally I also think the A/C consumption overall is higher the longer you're driving, so slower speeds = more A/C consumption as % of total consumption

They had told me speed is the biggest factor but I've ranked them by what I believe to be the right order

EPA rating is done going 50 mph on cruise control on a flat road with no wind and the A/C off, and under normal ambient temperature conditions (is what Tesla told me)

The sound system uses the 12V battery so shouldn't affect consumption much.

There's a website called A Better Routeplanner where, among other things, they estimate some of these factors on top of just rated mileage into your trip planning