Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range with AC on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get a into model 3 performance but I have some question. I drive every day 120 to 150 miles a day 5 days a week. living in Phoenix AZ I’m wondering if I’ll have enough range with the AC on. Also charging it almost from a dead battery every day is that going to when the battery faster?

I’m looking to get a into model 3 performance but I have some question. I drive every day 120 to 150 miles a day 5 days a week. living in Phoenix AZ I’m wondering if I’ll have enough range with the AC on. Also charging it almost from a dead battery every day is that going to when the battery faster?
I’ve only had my 3LR for two weeks. EPA does not equate to real-life range. I drive 70mi/day round trip 95% Hwy and I am charging roughly 28-30kWh/day. The car is averaging 290Wh/mi, but this doesn’t account for Sentry mode using energy, cabin overheat mode enabled, etc. I don’t drive too aggressive all the time, just every now and then.

With that said, 290/30000=429 Wh/mi.

They advertise 358mi for a 3LR and with 26kWh/100mi efficiency. 358*26/100=93 kWh battery. Back calculating, the true range is 93/42.9*100=216mi range.

If you were to drive in a 3LR, sentry mode, lots of AC mostly highway, I estimate 70% of your battery will be used every day on 150mi/day. Charge from 20-90% daily and you will be fine.

Performance model would have less range and more energy usage.

Upvote 0
What’s the 0.89?

In any event, it’s irrelevant as it would divided out. Point of the calculations is to show true range based on real-world data.
Charging efficiency. (DC rating is more like 23kWh/100mi)

And yes, it has no effect on your calculations otherwise I would have mentioned it.

Should use units though! It’s less confusing to people!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Charging efficiency. (DC rating is more like 23kWh/100mi)

And yes, it has no effect on your calculations otherwise I would have mentioned it.

Should use units though! It’s less confusing to people!
Oooooooh! I hadn’t considered the efficiency losses. Great point.

@E_Wright so, upon further consideration, my real-world mileage is around 60% EPA (216/358). Assuming the same for the M3P, 60% * 315 = 189 mi range. If you want to drive 150mi a day (max) you are looking at utilizing 79% (150/189) of your full battery. So, you could get the M3P, charge to 90% daily and should have 11% by the time you get home. On days you drive less, you will have more charge left.

Good luck with you decision ! Perhaps someone with more time can weigh in.

Upvote 0
Assuming the same for the M3P, 60% * 315 = 189 mi range.
It'll likely be a better ratio for the M3P because the cost of Sentry in rated mile use for the P is lower, and the cost of freeway travel is also a somewhat smaller penalty for the P (worse efficiency than the LR of course, but a smaller penalty % wise).

But doesn't really matter; roughly speaking what you're saying is pretty reasonable and in the ballpark.

Upvote 0
Highway trips are hard for me, I like going fast. 80-90 mph. It's hard to slow down to save battery power.
Huh? You don't have to. No one is demanding or dictating to you how you have to drive. This is all just informative. You are welcome to drive 110 mph if you want. But this is just letting you know that you will not be anywhere close to the EPA rating numbers if you do. So you can drive really fast and then just compensate for it with longer charging times at your stops. That is a very legitimate thing to do.

Upvote 0