Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone: I have had 2 Teslas , 2017 Model S which I sold then bought 2018 Mod X. I love my Teslas, as an old car man and dealer I can say nothing drives like a tesla. My concern is my battery range, My 2018 Mod X has 75D battery. with about 13000 miles. At first my mileage range was about 220 to 275 miles. Last couple of months it has gone down to 145 165 miles.. the dealer says its the way i drive it, I don't drive it any different than I did. Any one have similar problem.. Thank you for any help you may render. Tony@provident

...At first my mileage range was about 220 to 275 miles. Last couple of months it has gone down to 145 165 miles...

How do you get those numbers?

From a trip odometer or from charging to 100% then look at the battery gauge?

To compare your battery capacity, you should compare 100% to 100% charges and not partial charges and not by trip odometer or actual driving distance.

Trip odometer or how far you can travel or actual distance is dependent on how you drive: cold, hot, wind, snow, fast, slow, drag racing...

The miles displayed on your 100% charge is not dependent on how you drive. It is set by the EPA number. That EPA number does not change with how you drive.

For example, 100% should show 238 EPA miles even before you do drag racing. But whether you can achieve 238 miles on your trip odometer is dependent on how you drive. With drag racing, you might get below 100 miles of actual driving.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH and X-pilot
Hi Everyone: I have had 2 Teslas , 2017 Model S which I sold then bought 2018 Mod X. I love my Teslas, as an old car man and dealer I can say nothing drives like a tesla. My concern is my battery range, My 2018 Mod X has 75D battery. with about 13000 miles. At first my mileage range was about 220 to 275 miles. Last couple of months it has gone down to 145 165 miles.. the dealer says its the way i drive it, I don't drive it any different than I did. Any one have similar problem.. Thank you for any help you may render. Tony@provident
Have you figured anything out? We have a 2018 Model X with the same problem.

2018 MX 100D here. Around town it is hard to say, but definitely get better range, sometimes approaching 300 miles. When I am on the highway I am usually doing a consistent 80+ mph, and lucky to go 180 miles. That's using ~80% of my battery, which can be from 100% to 18% or 90% to 11%. Usually have to stop because of too far to the next charger. When it was new the same trip would only use about 75% of my battery so some degradation. My longest distance was about 230 miles when the car was 1 year old @ 21,000 miles going from a 95% charge to 9%.

So it really depends on how you drive, accelerate, running the heat (which I rarely do), etc.

2018 MX 100D here. Around town it is hard to say, but definitely get better range, sometimes approaching 300 miles. When I am on the highway I am usually doing a consistent 80+ mph, and lucky to go 180 miles. That's using ~80% of my battery, which can be from 100% to 18% or 90% to 11%. Usually have to stop because of too far to the next charger. When it was new the same trip would only use about 75% of my battery so some degradation. My longest distance was about 230 miles when the car was 1 year old @ 21,000 miles going from a 95% charge to 9%.

So it really depends on how you drive, accelerate, running the heat (which I rarely do), etc.
But if you charge to 100% now what’s your range versus the day you got it?

But if you charge to 100% now what’s your range versus the day you got it?
If I charge to 90% it shows 240 or so miles range, but is that really accurate? I think the last time I charged to 100% it showed 282 miles (October 2020 @ 42,000 miles, vs about 295 mile range October 2018 with 8,000 miles. I'll charge to 95 or 100 for my next long trip in April.