Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a recent owner (2 months) i charged my 2014 P85+ up for the first time to 100%... at fully charged it showed 264 miles... at 90% it shows 234 miles... should this data match up mathematically? I have heard there are algorithms that factor into range calculations but i don't understand them and lastly... am I correct in feeling good about my ranges and where I am at with the overall battery condition?

thanks all

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
264 / 100 * 90 = 237. Close enough :)
I've noticed my car doesn't charge exactly to the percentage I set it to. Sometimes it's a little below, sometimes a little above! Also, when you charge to say 90% and let it sit for a while, you lose a few miles just by having the car parked. Even when parked the car uses some energy and the battery loses some. So it's perfectly normal to have a few miles fluctuation.

Being a recent owner (2 months) i charged my 2014 P85+ up for the first time to 100%... at fully charged it showed 264 miles... at 90% it shows 234 miles... should this data match up mathematically? I have heard there are algorithms that factor into range calculations but i don't understand them and lastly... am I correct in feeling good about my ranges and where I am at with the overall battery condition?

Try doing the calculation using the Ideal miles setting rather than Rated miles. They seem to mess with Ideal miles less.
mine is (264/90) * 100 = 293.3/300 = 97.8 or 2.2% down at 74 K miles and 3.5 years. Looks good to me.

Note that summer and winter readings will vary because batteries have less capacity when cold. (It will show more loss in winter than in summer.)