TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery remaining choice

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Phil Seastrand, Aug 20, 2016.

?

Which unit type do you use most often for battery remaining?

1. Battery percentage (%)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Miles/km range remaining

33 vote(s)
    89.2%
  1. Phil Seastrand

Which option do you use most of the time to display battery remaining?

2. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I would love for it to guesstimate how many kWh left.

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I've been toggling between the two trying to get used to having the percentage showing like I had with a gas gauge. I'll vote when I settle on one! :p;)

• Like x 1
  4. Phil Seastrand

Wow, I never expected it to be this slanted. I don't like the range remaining because it wasn't that accurate (lead foot anyone?) and gave me a false sense of range. The percentage I can deal with since it's similar to a normal gas gauge. Besides, when I'm traveling, I use the trip computer to help plan the next charge so mileage doesn't really apply.

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I think part of the slant is the default is rated range, not percentage. I've debated going to percentage, but it's nice to know how much range I have left (even if I mentally reduce it by 25%).

Funny thing, on a trip I use the trip planner, and plan to have 15-20% remaining, regardless of how many miles that is.

6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Ditto

7. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

I'm not surprised at the results at all. People like targets, and it is more fun, if you want to call it that, to see if you can beat the numbers. How do you beat a percentage?

Also, all my ice years, I was constantly thinking ½ tank equals 175 miles, thinking about har far I had to go and plan accordingly. Since the Tesla does the math, I just let it.

I don't know if I want to see the percentage loss every time my right foot has fun either. Seeing miles disappear doesn't bug me the same way, since I'm not see the gas gage go down.

• Like x 1
  8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

I just can't think of how far the car has left in percentages. I can't think of going to somewhere and back in terms of how many percent it is to drive that distance. Some people say it's "false", but it's just kind of predictably overstated. If it says 212 left, I can just ballpark that's probably around 180 or something. That's easy to just mentally adjust that it's "kinda less" than what the number is.

9. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Another option I think would be great is miles left based on the car's lifetime average, or trip A/B average or whatever it would take to get closer to real-world miles.

• Like x 1