TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery: Repair or Replace?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Micha, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Micha

Micha Member

I have my Roadster 1.5 in for the annual service and there is a issue with the battery requiring a sheet to be replaced. The best explanation I was given is the sheet has some resistance and it will eventually go bad and other sheets will eventually go bad as well. I haven't had any loss in range/battery capacity yet.

The question I am faced with is do I repair the battery & replace the sheet for $4,500 or do I keep driving it until the battery goes bad or range is too low for regular use and then upgrade to a 3.0 battery? My take is if I have a good chance of getting 3 yrs/20k miles out of this battery before falling below 50% I'll kick the can down the road and upgrade to 3.0 then. If there is a good chance this battery will die in the next year and the car is unusable I'd rather pay the $4,500 than upgrade now for $29,000.

Does anyone here have experience in how long it takes for other sheets to go bad if the first bad sheet isn't replaced?

How much time/mileage could I get out of this battery before it degrades to below 50% of its original range?

If I do repair the sheet is it likely other sheets will go bad soon as well because of age mileage?

My roadster currently has aprox 23,000 miles and is 8 years old.

Appreciate your input so I can make the right decision.

2. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

I'm guessing sense wire corrosion connected to the rivet on ESS sheet.
    I'm thinking unlikely.

3. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I would go with the plan of continuing to drive your pack until its dead then upgrade to the 3.0 pack. Very likely your battery isn't experiencing any issues that will prevent it from maintaining that 50% minimum you described within the next 3yrs/20K miles, its possible that it starts to drop like a rock in the next few months but I'd bet on it lasting a while longer and if you are satisfied with losing up to 50% of it in the next 3yrs/20K miles I'd feel confident you are going to be OK.

My guess on your repair is that Tesla is actually going to swap your entire pack with a refurb/reman pack for the $4500 price-tag, I don't think you will be getting the exact same other 10 sheets of your current pack with a single replaced sheet being the 11th, I'd imagine you will actually be getting 11 "new" sheets (but they aren't new at all they are just salvaged from other packs), so don't worry about any sort of imbalance if you exercise that option! (although, it wouldn't cause an issue anyways, to replace just one, each sheet is pretty well managed individually)