Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replaced Under Warranty - 30+ miles below rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Model S60 battery failed two weeks ago. I received it back today and I looked like the range was odd. I believe the S60 was rated at 208 and when I got home I decided to charge it to 100% to check the range and at 100% it is 173.

They told me I was getting a refurbished pack. I checked the sticker and it reads:

60kWh, 350VDC
part number: 1120019-01-B

Any ideas? This is lower than I was getting before it was replaced.

My 2014 Model S60 battery failed two weeks ago. I received it back today and I looked like the range was odd. I believe the S60 was rated at 208 and when I got home I decided to charge it to 100% to check the range and at 100% it is 173.

They told me I was getting a refurbished pack. I checked the sticker and it reads:

60kWh, 350VDC

What was your 100% charge before the prior pack failed? If it was higher than this you just need to go back to Tesla and show them that their warranty says that any replacement pack will have as much or more range as the pack it replaced prior to the failure and demand a new replacement. (You could try running it below 20% and charging it back up to see if that helps, but I would put much hope in that.)

• Helpful
Reactions: rickyjb and Gt1948
There was a similar post on another forum where the owner of a 70D had the pack fail, be replaced, and wound up with less range than he had. The response from Tesla was that since these were used battery packs there would be variations in range, and the range he had was within their "tolerances" (i.e. wouldn't trigger a battery pack replacement for range loss). I believe he lost around 40ish miles of range (he was down to less than 200 miles after the change)

There was a similar post on another forum where the owner of a 70D had the pack fail, be replaced, and wound up with less range than he had. The response from Tesla was that since these were used battery packs there would be variations in range, and the range he had was within their "tolerances" (i.e. wouldn't trigger a battery pack replacement for range loss). I believe he lost around 40ish miles of range (he was down to less than 200 miles after the change)

60kWh, 350VDC

The warranty states the battery pack must meet or exceed the range of your old battery pack. I am sure you will have to file for arbitration to have Tesla replace the pack they just installed. Send them an email stating the problem and file for arbitration.

These are the stories that make me second guess the purchase of a Tesla.

With my BMW 540, timing chain guides failed costing me $5k repair. Turns out is a common issue that affects many.
With my E63 AMG Mercedes, cylinder head bolts failed due to corrosion, causing thousands in repair costs. Also a known issue that affects many.

I could go on and on about how every carmaker has issues...

You've been Musk'd.

I'd ask Tesla about that because that is really frustrating. But try charging from a low level (<20%) all the way up to 100%, maybe a time or two. If you contact them they will probably have you do that first anyway.

Thank you for your responses. I will first try to charge from a low level. I have already contacted Tesla. Just went through arbitration with them in February and it was just resolved this week so not looking forward to going that route again, but will if I have to.

I don't mind not getting a new battery, but one of equal range is necessary. Of course I didn't have a chance to take a picture of the range before it went into service because the pack failed without notice. Wouldn't even move. They had to come to my house to tow it out of the garage.

I do have a picture somewhere of the range so I'll have to find it.

Again, thank you you for all the responses. I will keep you updated on my progress.

I did receive my service invoice today. Not sure how to decipher all this:

Parts Replaced or Added

Correction: HV Battery (Remove & Install)

Parts Replaced or Added

Part

Quantity

ASY,HV BATT,S2,REMAN,PYROFUSE(1120019-01-B) 1.0

CLIP,PUSH-PULL,7.0 HOLE,20.0 OD,11.5L(1037218-00- 28.0-B)
COVER,SKI,SIDE,REAR,BATT ENCLOS(1032386-00-C) 2.0 COVER,SKI,SIDE,MID,BATT ENCLOS(1032385-00-C) 2.0 COVER,SKI,SIDE,FRONT,BATT ENCLOS(1032384-00-C) 2.0

Correction: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V - 1st Generation (LHD RWD) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR(1083774-00-A) 1.0

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says they can't downgrade you, so complain and complain until they replace you with something legally appropriate. They have to by law use an equal or better replacement.

Can the 2014 60 batteries be unlocked to 75?

No.

With my BMW 540, timing chain guides failed costing me $5k repair. Turns out is a common issue that affects many.
With my E63 AMG Mercedes, cylinder head bolts failed due to corrosion, causing thousands in repair costs. Also a known issue that affects many.

I could go on and on about how every carmaker has issues...

Totally different scenario altogether. The OP is having a warranty battery replacement with a used counterpart that is less then adequate.

This would be equivalent to any other car manufacturer replacing your engine due to failure under warranty, and using a used engine so long as it has less miles then the one in your car. Doesn’t happen. You’d get a new engine / shortblock direct from the factory.

I never argued that other manufactures don’t have problems. But this is just shady Tesla business and the more I read on here, the worse it’s getting.

Thus the reason I have yet to purchase.

This would be equivalent to any other car manufacturer replacing your engine due to failure under warranty, and using a used engine so long as it has less miles then the one in your car. Doesn’t happen. You’d get a new engine / shortblock direct from the factory.

No, ICE OEMs use rebuilt engines, not new ones, in warranty repairs if they have them available, which they almost always do.