Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement 11/15 P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm down to 248 on my refurbished P90D battery. Actual miles are around 197 on a drive to Bakersfield from south Orange County. OUCH
I have tried calling all sorts of #'s but no one can tell me which of the 3 "90" batteries I got or give any help or advice as to what to do. The drive to Bakersfield was early AM an averaged 72 MPH and weather was clear, dry and an average of 74 degrees. Seems ideal driving conditions but pretty crappy milage. I called "sales" and they said trade it in for a 100D and get 325+ miles. Well I paid $142K for this car (loaded obviously) and now they tell me the 100D is about $!00K with a similar set up as much is standard now.

Boy what a disappointment. Oh, and no fast lane anymore :(

Not what I hoped for but I understand my story is not uncommon.

I'm down to 248 on my refurbished P90D battery. Actual miles are around 197 on a drive to Bakersfield from south Orange County. OUCH
I have tried calling all sorts of #'s but no one can tell me which of the 3 "90" batteries I got or give any help or advice as to what to do. The drive to Bakersfield was early AM an averaged 72 MPH and weather was clear, dry and an average of 74 degrees. Seems ideal driving conditions but pretty crappy milage. I called "sales" and they said trade it in for a 100D and get 325+ miles. Well I paid $142K for this car (loaded obviously) and now they tell me the 100D is about $!00K with a similar set up as much is standard now.

Lie down not he ground behind the front passenger wheel. Look behind the front passenger wheel, and you'll see a sticker on the battery pack. Take a picture. On the top of that sticker is the part number. If you provide that in a response here, I'm sure we can tell you if you have a v1 or v2 or v3 battery.

As for replacement, a fully loaded custom Model S 100D is actually $86000 + tax + license... It's also 370 mile range with the standard 19 wheels.

I'm also going to guess that when traveling south over the grapevine, your consumption is going out the roof. Next time you're doing the same route, look at the energy graph for the trip and take an image before you start, and one more picture as you near the destination (do it before you arrive so the energy graph doesn't clear itself out once you reach the destination). The goal is to keep your line below the estimate line...

Thanks I will look later today and post it. Your are right about the grapevine going northwest's or south. But I find that when you go down the opposite way on the same trip, you make up all the miles. An example is going down into Bakersfield my miles # stayed the same for almost 17 miles and then started to go down again. I just figured it was a toss up.

Do you not use the energy graphs? They will/should clarify why you are not getting the indicated range - ie your Wh/mile will be above the 305/310 Wh/mile for the P90D. I get around 75% of indicted range in normal day to day driving - booting it often cause I like it. You can get close to the indicated range but it is extremely boring!

Check the sticker as already mentioned a few times. I have a V1 battery which I am not happy about after learning all about the different versions and what they can and can't do performance wise.

45 miles total loss over 58k miles...15.3%
10 miles in the last 3k miles sudden drop

Ouch. So I guess your battery is a v1 one?
v1
Taken it to Tesla 3 times, and they said this is normal.
After reading about how Tesloop had 6% degradation after 400k miles, I purcahsed a Tesla. But I am already at 15.3% drop with just over 50k miles...It certainly feels like the silicon they introduced in the 90 battery is the culprit.

This article published in 2015 talks about it: Charged EVs | Tesla tweaks its battery chemistry: a closer look at silicon anode development

Interesting article - thanks.

I am in a similar boat with my V1. CPO purchase in April, rubbish range, constantly losing range. In addition I have the extra crap bonus of knowing my V1 cannot deliver the promised performance of my P90DL. Not particularly happy. If the pack fails I will be happy on all counts. I haven't raised it with Tesla as it would appear to be a waste of time as in your case.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688
What sort of drop do you have...how many total miles..version 1?

As per my signature:- P90DL 2016 AP1. 1063792 A V1 battery delivering a pathetic 1525 amps. 10% degradation at 35K miles. Typical (UK) 100% range 239 miles.

I am losing about 1 mile a month. I don't do huge mileage - probably 400 miles a month. I am literally 100% charging as we speak so it will be interesting to see what it achieves (don't do it very often).

Pretty sure Tesla have not done any 100 upgrades - i think they claim it is not possible for them to do. I think Jason Hughes has done it though.
The 100 battery is a higher voltage than the 90. It's "only" about 10%, so maybe the components can handle the overvoltage. Either Jason modified the output (transformer or something) or he's running the risk of burning his BMC, controller, motors, etc.

Just found this thread while searching and hope this helps someone.
I have a 2014 P85D with 69k CPO. Brought it in 4 times complaining about the battery and finally they took it and admitted that the battery needs to be replaced. They said they don't know if it's another 85kwh or a 90kwh battery until it comes in. Let's pray it's a 90kwh.

symptoms were range. I was only get 180 miles on a 90pct charge, yes I have a heavy foot but I don't think it's normal still. Then the batter would say it's complete charge was at 98pct and only had 201 miles full charge.

get the car back in 10 days so let's pray!

Reactions: evalst2018
Just found this thread while searching and hope this helps someone.
I have a 2014 P85D with 69k CPO. Brought it in 4 times complaining about the battery and finally they took it and admitted that the battery needs to be replaced. They said they don't know if it's another 85kwh or a 90kwh battery until it comes in. Let's pray it's a 90kwh.

symptoms were range. I was only get 180 miles on a 90pct charge, yes I have a heavy foot but I don't think it's normal still. Then the batter would say it's complete charge was at 98pct and only had 201 miles full charge.

get the car back in 10 days so let's pray!

Congrats....I have taken it to Tesla 3 times. My range loss is similar I have a 90d 294 range new...get 249, 45 miles loss in range at 100%, 15% range loss 60k miles. I have filed complaints aginst Tesla on the dca.ca.gov and the new motor vehicle board. They have denied both times. Not sure what else to do???

Last edited: