Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement 11/15 P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following up with myself, here's what I've gathered. There may be some older cars that have a V3 or V2 and should be in the V1 or V2 range. Some cars with bad batteries got replacements

VIN#
V1 - latest I've seen is 114,000 but I don't know about between 114,000 to 124,000...could be V1 or V2?
V2 - 124,XXX is the earliest I can find; 139,7XX is the latest I can find
V3 - 144,XXX is the earliest I can find

Build Date
V1 - all cars from 2015 but I don't have data showing the end of V1. Latest V1 built car I can see in the spreadsheets is a 114,000 VIN which is approximately November 2015 build date
V2 - earliest I can find build date was FEB 2016; 139,7XX is the latest I can find and that build date is May 16, 2016 which lines up as June 1st 2016 is the supposed start of V3 for ludicrous mode P90D cars
V3 - June 2016 is the earliest I can find

My 2016 P90DL has a V1 and 127xxx VIN. Unsure of build date - we do not have build date on sticker in UK. Mine was bought from Tesla in April this year and was originally a P90D. They upgraded to Ludicrous (was originally advertised as a P90D then it disappeared for a week and came back as a P90DL), they even stuck the underline bar on the piss. There is a difference in batteries fitted on original factory Ludicrous models so presumably the batteries will overlap.

My 2016 P90DL has a V1 and 127xxx VIN. Unsure of build date - we do not have build date on sticker in UK. Mine was bought from Tesla in April this year and was originally a P90D. They upgraded to Ludicrous (was originally advertised as a P90D then it disappeared for a week and came back as a P90DL), they even stuck the underline bar on the piss. There is a difference in batteries fitted on original factory Ludicrous models so presumably the batteries will overlap.
interesting, thanks . Over here, it seems those cars might have come with a V2 battery if it were ordered ludicrous

the not-ordered ludicrous cars in that VIN range may have received V1 since V1 non-ludicrous doesn't really matter, it's fine as is for Insane performance. However when they offered the upgrade, that's where it got tricky

Wiith that being said, there are 1/4 mile times in the very low 11s for V1 ludicrous cars so it's not far off. I wouldn't fret.

In Dec 2017 when I bought my 2015 0999XX VIN P90D (not L) if they could L it for me and they said they don't do that anymore. Maybe that has changed.

My car achieves 0-60 in the low 3 second range (3.2 or so) with 1 ft rollout as Tesla tested so that's not far off the advertised 3.1. It ran the 1/4 mile in 11.7 @ 113.6 mph in not great conditions at around 75% battery. Maybe it could go 11.6 @ 114 or so fully charged.

It has lost range from 435 kms in 2015 to 395 or so now depending on the day, so that's around 9% degradation. Car has 90,000 kms on it. 1 mile = 1.61 kms

Here is some data released from elektrek.com on Tesla battery degradation. Prior to buying my car, I used this data as a reason to go forward with the purchase. I have graphed my actual degradation on the graph as an overlay. My data is literally "off the charts"View attachment 469984 View attachment 469984

How are there data points representing over 100% battery charge when new, let alone after 50K miles??

That sucks when a 90D battery returns less real world range than current 75D batteries.

For those P90D owners seeing 250 miles but only able to go 200 miles, that doesn't seem too abnornal. In the Summer , around town, it may require 1.2 rated miles to travel 1 real mile in our Raven S. So, if your 250-rated miles only translates to 200 miles of distance then that is 1.25 rated miles for every mile traveled. I consider this more than reasonable and actually find it remarkable considering how hard most owners will drive their P car.

Factory P90DL with V1 battery. At 100% charge on HPWC at home shows ~265 miles. This is what it showed since new. The difference in my case is what it actually gets. On a recent trip between Austin and Houston, I only had 35 miles left when we arrived at the Houston supercharger on a full charge at the Austin supercharger. That's about 150 miles, so 185 miles of highway mileage. Terrible.

Factory P90DL with V1 battery. At 100% charge on HPWC at home shows ~265 miles. This is what it showed since new. The difference in my case is what it actually gets. On a recent trip between Austin and Houston, I only had 35 miles left when we arrived at the Houston supercharger on a full charge at the Austin supercharger. That's about 150 miles, so 185 miles of highway mileage. Terrible.

Is that rated miles or ideal miles? For a V1 that is a great number. What year, are you sure it is a V1? My replacement V3 showed less than that yesterday after less than a year. And judging by the part number it is not a refurb.

How many miles you go on a full charge doesn’t really tell the full story. I believe to hit the rated miles you need to average ~300wh/mi, maybe 330? If you are getting around that for power consumption and still only seeing that many miles then there could be a problem with the battery. If you are more in the 400-450wh/mi range then the issue is most likely road/weather conditions or your driving style.

My V2 battery continues to bleed range. Was 258 when bought from Tesla in May 19. Has consistently dropped and is now down to 242. If the range loss continues to be linear, and so far it has, I guess I’ll be looking for a new car at some soon.

i have exact same issue. bought the car from used tesla website where they advertise 270 mile range and 2.6 acceleration. i barely can get actual 200 miles driven on full charge although 100% charge show 245 miles and acceleration: could not get below 3 seconds even on race track. seems like P90D (first edition) is exact same as P85D but Tesla found a way to charge more money

Tesla constantly lies about their used P90Ds. All P90Ds got the exact same range as the P85D before the 2016.5 P90D. If you own a 2015-2016 P90D the range was always 253 even tho tesla would claim 270.

Tesla constantly lies about their used P90Ds. All P90Ds got the exact same range as the P85D before the 2016.5 P90D. If you own a 2015-2016 P90D the range was always 253 even tho tesla would claim 270.

the 90kwh battery they put in my p85D would charge to 274 miles at 100pct

but two months later it died hahaha it's in the SC as we speak for another replacement

yeah, I don't like how they advertise the used cars at full range of a new car

then when you ask why the car you bought only charges to 412 kms instead of 434 kms, they give you a bunch of BS about 'it's an algorithm...just use %'

yeah, no. There's an EPA consumption rating which for the P90D was around 195 wh/km (314 wh/mile) and if you meet that, you should in theory get that full range. If there's limited capacity in the battery then you're losing out on what was advertised to you. Not to mention that the '90' battery is really an 82 battery I believe.

My car is a V1, and achieves about 247 miles on a 100% charge. IT's a 2015 099XXX VIN range.

Anyone know when V2 started? Vin Range? Curious as I was considering replacing my V1 2015 P90D with a 2016 non-facelift car that was lower mileage, similar price vs. trade but with a few packages I didn't have with my original car. The target car is a 137,000 VIN with an April 2016 build date, and I was wondering if maybe it was V2.

From what I've gathered the facelift VIN split is around 138,000, in May 2016.

I heard once that all facelift cars are V3, but the dragtimes car I think was a facelift with a V2 battery. So there goes that.

There's apparently a google docs spreadsheet with tons of P90D owner data. Anyone know where that is?

There was really only 2 V3 batteries. The facelift P90D got either a V2 or V3. The 2 V3 batteries are
1088790-00-A 1st V3 in most cars from July 2016, some had it in June
1088792-00-A 2nd V3 battery in P90Ds from Sept 2016 to Dec 2016 Faster than most P100DL’s O-60mph

but two months later it died hahaha it's in the SC as we speak for another replacement

You had a real 90 batter like they all should’ve had. I don’t think they ever put real 90 batteries in until 2016.5 in the Model S. The Model X had them from the start. If you read an article about the P90D when it was just coming out it said the range would be 270 yet it took 2 yrs before they finally installed them in the S... Bullshit
I can’t complain since I had both of the best batteries, but it bothers me how they trick other buyers

How the f*** did it die? You got more range than anyone I’ve ever heard besides myself. Mine got to 277. But I got it there myself. It started at 267 and the way I charge I added 10 miles

What do you mean? It can only get 253 miles new. You may get a few more by charging certain ways but never capable of 270. You can google any P90D from 2015-2016 prefacelift maronney sticker and see
Like I said: "indicated." It is possible there is some kind of calculation/computer error involved. It did show an indicated 270 a few times. Which made me do a double-take.

Reactions: tesluv108

Not possible. They must have replaced the battery at some point. 253 2015-2016
270 2016.5