Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement 11/15 P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a battery replacement. My car has 23,000 miles and is having the battery changed. Not sure why yet.
I will ask if the battery is new or refurbished. Also if I will/can get a more recent technology battery.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

THX

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a battery replacement. My car has 23,000 miles and is having the battery changed. Not sure why yet.
I will ask if the battery is new or refurbished. Also if I will/can get a more recent technology battery.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

THX

I just had my battery in my P85D replaced and it was replaced with a V3 90kw. I was given the 90 because they couldn’t source any 85 with Ludicrous mode. My little bit of research seems to indicate that most replacements are V3, but as always YMMV. Even a V2 would be better than your V1. Good luck and I hope you get it back quickly.

Also they told me mine was a refurbish, but I don’t know how to confirm that.

My P85D just had the battery replaced at the 53k mile mark. I don't know how to tell which version of the 90kWh battery I got, but this is the part number:
ASY,HV BATTERY,90KWH,CAT1,REMAN,SX
(1102980-01-A)
I guess the P85D doesn't warrant the P90DL battery.

This is my 12/2015 build original battery...

Battery Version - No Serial.jpg

I was told that one of the controllers inside the battery was giving high impedance warnings. The whole battery was not bad but they are still going to do a full replacement.
well? which battery did you get? V2 or V3?

It’s pretty interesting how the 85’s are being upgraded to 90’s, for FREE. I’m curious to see if the same will be true for 90’s to 100’s, should the 90 battery become discontinued.

Any V3 failures?

I have now had the new battery for a few months. They could not tell me what was wrong with the old battery and could not tell me what the new battery is. I called various Tesla #'s and no one could help. Very strange. I did see that I now have and INSANE +. level I can set. Yes, the car is faster yet no one can tell me what insane + even means. It just makes no sense to me. The bad part is a full charge for my P90D is 248 miles and I actually get about 190. This is the same problem as I had before the battery replacement. Tesla service says "that is all we can do. The computer says all is fine".
Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks much for your help!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have now had the new battery for a few months. They could not tell me what was wrong with the old battery and could not tell me what the new battery is. I called various Tesla #'s and no one could help. Very strange. I did see that I now have and INSANE +. level I can set. Yes, the car is faster yet no one can tell me what insane + even means. It just makes no sense to me. The bad part is a full charge for my P90D is 248 miles and I actually get about 190. This is the same problem as I had before the battery replacement. Tesla service says "that is all we can do. The computer says all is fine".
Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks much for your help!
You should have been provided with a Service Invoice, which will clearly state what the customer concern was, what they did to resolve any issue they found, and the part numbers of the parts used for repair.

Post the battery sticker picture already.........

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Vegas and bhzmark
I ended up having to get the battery pack replaced on my Model S 85. the battery they replaced it with was a refurbished one. Now my battery does not charge up to the 265 range, I can only get a full charge to 253. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I ended up having to get the battery pack replaced on my Model S 85. the battery they replaced it with was a refurbished one. Now my battery does not charge up to the 265 range, I can only get a full charge to 253. Anyone else have this happen to them?
253 is what I get on my 2014 original S85 battery. I would assume that refurbished means they dont actually give you new batteries, just a pack put together with a pack that was repaired. So the 253 miles at full charge makes sense.

Reactions: SmartElectric