Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement Nightmare. Would like input!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes they use railroad ties to secure parking curbs (the concrete curbs at parking lots). I've had very similar damage on a different vehicle just parking at low speeds by a railroad tie that stuck up beyond the curb. Very similar.

The alternatives are: kids, previous owner. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Questions to ask....

Did anyone unfamiliar drive your car? Such as: parking lot attendant, valet parking, car wash personnel, at the dealer, did anyone need to move your car for any reason, did a family member take the car (authorized or unauthorized) without your knowledge?

Was it parked anywhere where it could have been vandalized (or someone trying jack it up, or move it, push it with another vehicle, attempt to load it on a flatbed tow or other tow device to steel wheels/tires?)

Could someone have gained access to it to your key/remote/etc without your knowledge?

Is it possible you drove through a construction site where metal plates covering a hole in the pavement could have moved, or a manhole cover popped up to do this?

Did you cross a railroad grade crossing where you may not have been aligned with the pavement, perhaps at night?

Suggest you request any Tesla data logs that may show any longitudinal impacts sufficient to do this damage, and/or a disturbance to the battery voltage might have been logged? You or
your insurance provider might consider to contract with an independent investigator who has the Tesla airbag download tools. Even if the airbags did not deploy, a "trigger" for an event could be stored, which might shed light on when such an event occurred, and if there is any other data to link it to other actions (braking, acceleration, steering, battery power, etc.). I provide those services here in California (and sometimes elsewhere as well).

Best,
Myles Kitchen
[email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Tesla is a suspect number one. Why, because it saves them $$$. They hire unqualified personnel, who are not paid well and careless. I would hire a forensics investigator to check the point of damage, it could be pretty accurately determined WHEN it occurred. Even from the pictures I have a feeling the crack coloration is too bright, i.e. not oxidized yet. Kinda like a fresh wood cut. Ask couple investigators over email for an opinion. Don't quote me, do your own research.

Given the short period from Tesla's inspection to the problem manifesting it would seem that Tesla failed to see the problem and is responsible to cover it. Investigation would indicate, unless the damaged occurred very recently, that damage happened PRIOR you buying the car, therefore making Tesla responsible.

Knowing HOW Tesla service center (SC) works I would ALWAYS be inclined to think they are at fault.

Just a thought for anyone going to SC (or any shop): ALWAYS take a detailed video of your car exterior and interior prior. Luckily this is very easy to do these days. It will take you 10-20 minutes (don't forget to use a bright light) and might save you a huge pain in the "rear" in case your car is damaged while in the shop. Tesla will ALWAYS deny their fault until you prove them wrong. This has happened multiple times to multiple people.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla is a suspect number one. Why, because it saves them $$$. They hire unqualified personnel, who are not paid well and careless. I would hire a forensics investigator to check the point of damage, it could be pretty accurately determined WHEN it occurred. Even from the pictures I have a feeling the crack coloration is too bright, i.e. not oxidized yet. Kinda like a fresh wood cut. Ask couple investigators over email for an opinion. Don't quote me, do your own research.

Given the short period from Tesla's inspection to the problem manifesting it would seem that Tesla failed to see the problem and is responsible to cover it. Investigation would indicate, unless the damaged occurred very recently, that damage happened PRIOR you buying the car, therefore making Tesla responsible.

Knowing HOW Tesla service center (SC) works I would ALWAYS be inclined to think they are at fault.

Just a thought for anyone going to SC (or any shop): ALWAYS take a detailed video of your car exterior and interior prior. Luckily this is very easy to do these days. It will take you 10-20 minutes (don't forget to use a bright light) and might save you a huge pain in the "rear" in case your car is damaged while in the shop. Tesla will ALWAYS deny their fault until you prove them wrong. This has happened multiple times to multiple people.

Would be a strange coincidence that first battery fails then Tesla crashes it ...

Reactions: SSedan
Would be a strange coincidence that first battery fails then Tesla crashes it ...
Unless they wanted to cover the poor inspection prior, which they have a record of, I'm sure, then it will make sense. Also a possibility that battery failed due to something else entirely and they did it to cover it up. But probably a manager of the SC just trying to save $$$.

I'm not assuming it's Tesla's fault, but a suspect is a suspect, such is life. If you report a crime from the crime scene - you are a suspect until you are dismissed or convicted by evidence.

Unless they wanted to cover the poor inspection prior, which they have a record of, I'm sure, then it will make sense. Also a possibility that battery failed due to something else entirely and they did it to cover it up. But probably a manager of the SC just trying to save $$$.

I'm not assuming it's Tesla's fault, but a suspect is a suspect, such is life. If you report a crime from the crime scene - you are a suspect until you are dismissed or convicted by evidence.

But it's not easy to prove. Tesla has the upper hand. They can say whatever they want, even if the damage happened in their care.

I had similar damage from a rock that I ran over. Dented but did not tear the battery pack as much as yours but required replacement of the battery pack plus coolant pump and rear motor. Thankfully was covered by insurance but was still deemed my fault because I ran over the rock on the road. It was unavoidable but that doesn't matter, I was at fault for an unavoidable accident. However in BC Canada, insurance still covered the cost, just not the deductible.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Update: Should be getting my car back today. I asked the service manager what happens to the damaged battery and was told, to my surprise, Tesla gets to keep it. I said that's surprising and I'd think I'd get to own it (since it's MY car) or the insurance company would get it (since they paid for the replacement). Anyone have thoughts on this?

(not that I want it because I can't get a 1500lb battery home or have anywhere to put it)

Update: Should be getting my car back today. I asked the service manager what happens to the damaged battery and was told, to my surprise, Tesla gets to keep it. I said that's surprising and I'd think I'd get to own it (since it's MY car) or the insurance company would get it (since they paid for the replacement). Anyone have thoughts on this?

(not that I want it because I can't get a 1500lb battery home or have anywhere to put it)

There would be a core charge the insurance would have to pay if they wanted to keep it. Last I heard that was more than $10k.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan

Well the individual modules are worth quite a bit with the solar electric crowd

Comprehensive claims for road damage are typically reserved for if something hits your vehicle without hitting the ground first. If road debris hits the car after hitting the ground, it's collision...so I'd count on it being collision.

I recently had to submit a claim after a orange bucket fell off of a pickup ahead of me and 1 lane over. The bucket bounced directly off of the ground into my lane. I couldnt swerve. Braked as hard as I could but it still damaged my bumper cover and couple of underpanels. Insurance (State Farm) said since the object was moving, it was comprehensive.

Which falls in line with what this article states

http://www.massagent.com/online/collisionpothole.pdf