Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement Nightmare. Would like input!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on 12/13 I was driving my MS 75D to visit my wife at work and I received the warning "Vehicle may not restart - Service is required" message. Got to my wife's job, parked the car and sure enough, it would not move (screen would power up but car said there was an issue with voltage). Called Tesla Roadside and they sent a tow truck to get it. This was a Sunday.

The following day, confirmed that the car is at my service center and that there is an 'isolation fault' with my HV battery, covered by warranty, come by and get a loaner. Was told that it would take a while to get the refurbished battery due to lots of paperwork. Ok, no problem.

Skip forward to today (12/29), I get a bill for over $13,000 from Tesla to replace the HV battery and a shear plate (laughable because the cost of the battery, 12,000, versus the cost of the shear plate, 4.40). I call my service center and ask if there is an issue with the billing because I was told it was covered. They say the battery is punctured and that is not covered. The pictures they sent me are shocking. I have ZERO idea how this could have happened (and frankly neither do they). No damage to any of the body of the vehicle, just what you see in the pictures.

Been a hell of a day working with my insurance to file a claim but getting it taken care of. What is more baffling is that I bought the car in Sept (second owner) and had them do an battery test/inspection in October. They stated during that inspection that my battery was doing better than most batteries of the same age/mileage. So, what the heck happened to cause this issue? I work from home (COVID) so I really don't drive all that much and given the damage I would have known if I'd hit something. Also a bit bothered that they waited over two weeks before doing any sort of inspection of the battery when they said they'd originally replace it.

So, all that said, I was wanting to get thoughts and opinions. Have you seen anything like this before? Similar stories? What could have caused something like this?

EDIT: When you view the pictures, the damage you see is on the rear of the driver's side.

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_135219.jpg
    IMG_20201229_135219.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMG_20201229_135225.jpg
    IMG_20201229_135225.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20201229_135254.jpg
    IMG_20201229_135254.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20201229_135303.jpg
    IMG_20201229_135303.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 348
That looks like it was damaged during forward motion, not lifting.

People here fixate on improper lifting but we really don't see a lot of meaningful damage from that. Basically all cars have fuel and brake lines near lifting points so shops are accustomed to watching where they lift from.

It sucks, any chance it could have happened when a teenage child or someone was driving? Or maybe it was at a pothole and you just dismissed the bang as that.

What's amazing to me is the amount of damage though. A pothole I wouldn't think would have warped that shear plate the way it shows in the last picture (i was told it was already bent like that prior to the battery removal). And that piece of metal actually missing from the casing...what does that? It would seem something like that would blow a tire to cause that amount of damaging from driving over something?

Prior to taking ownership of this car, I got down and underneath the car and I don't recall seeing this damage. Granted, it could have been closer behind the wheel possibly and I didn't see it, and it's just taken time to manifest itself. What bothers me is that this car has been in the shop twice now and it seems there was never a physical inspection done of the car. Hopefully Tesla technicians will learn from this and remember there is more to fixing cars than just reading what the computer tells them is wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
That looks like it was damaged during forward motion, not lifting.

People here fixate on improper lifting but we really don't see a lot of meaningful damage from that. Basically all cars have fuel and brake lines near lifting points so shops are accustomed to watching where they lift from.
Totally agree, that’s from a major impact, not a shop lift. People think these cars are so delicate when it comes to lifting them... it’s just not the case.

The question then to me is, what can someone hit that does THIS amount of damage and doesn't affect drivability? That shear plate is warped to hell. Also remember, this damage is located by the rear driver's side tire. No damage to the front of the car in any way. I'd be inclined to say someone "curbed it" making a left hand turn into a median (did that once in my SS Camaro) but even then it doesn't explain the hole in the casing.

TBH, this is becoming a very compelling mystery to me. It must have been there prior to my purchase, but I'm surprised no one (including me) noticed it until the battery finally threw the isolation fault that put it in the shop in the first place.

File your insurance claim and hope that you (or someone else?) won't drive over anything like that again.

What other choice is there?

At least you'll have a new or refurbished battery so there's that silver lining . . . .

You are absolutely right. At this point, pending the adjustor's estimate, it's either going to cost me $500 (collision) or $250 (comprehensive) for a brand new (refurbed) battery.

Hasn’t something similar happened to model s owners in the past? I recall reading a few articles where a model s hit something (either a curb or a lose object on the road) and the battery was punctured. I think what must’ve happened is someone was driving and ran over something loose on the road and it punctured the battery. On the bright side at least this is what insurance is for, so whatever your deductible is, it will be far less than the 13k Tesla is charging you! Wish you good luck