TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Replacement Option

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by irvineboy, Dec 12, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

I have a neighbor who purchased a base model S. He told me there will eventually be a battery replacement option so he could technically upgrade his 70 to a 90D or P by switching out the battery. I have never heard of this. Anyone know if it is true?

2. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I've never seen any news regarding battery upgrade. I know for sure you can't switch to a P model since the motors and the wire are different as well. You can't just switch it out.

3. Boourns

Boourns Member

Elon has indicated that battery upgrade would be possible in the distant future, but there are no specific plans revealed that I know of. Also, to go from a non-P to a P would also require swapping out the rear motor and other components.

4. Kenx008

Kenx008 Member

Your neighbor may be mistaken for being able to upgrade a 60 to 75. The 70 and 90 have different motors so a simple battery replacement won't get you the same performance.

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It has been mentioned as future possibility. It was also mentioned that it wouldn't be financially reasonable to upgrade in "small steps". It would be too expensive to upgrade annually. I think the price was $20k to upgrade a 60->90 and you had to turn in the old battery.

6. GregKo

GregKo Member

It was $20K to go from P90DL to P100D. I got the email from Tesla. P90D without the L was not sent the letter...

Greg

7. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I wonder if this holds true. If it is might worth keep my lease than buy a cpo 85d

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Your neighbor may "eventually" be correct but Tesla has not made any such statement. So as of now, it is not true.

I am confident that Tesla will never offer its customers the ability to change a non-Performance model to a Performance model, or change a single motor Tesla to a Dual Motor. But someday it may be possible to buy a new replacement battery that has more capacity than the battery that the car was first sold with.

9. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Changing a single motor to a dual motor would require both motors to be swapped since aren't dual motor vehicles two smaller motors vs one big motor in the regular RWD version?