TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

battery replacement options

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by twiersum, Aug 7, 2017.

1. twiersum

twiersum Member

I was told by Tesla service that a "standard" battery replacement for the Roadster was more than the 3.0 upgrade due to no availability.

Does anyone know if this is correcy?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The "Standard" battery was $42K. So the 3.0 at $29K seemed like a bargain. I have not heard of any discounts for the standard battery.

3. backmost

backmost Member

Does Tesla still replace the original battery or is the only option left to upgrade to the 3.0 battery?

I've been considering getting a Roadster but having to drop $29k a year or two in is a scary thought...

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Only way to find the authentic answer to your question is to call the Tesla Service Center yourself and ask as well as to report back so others are informed.

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Why would you have to spend 29k after only a year or two? The original batteries are lasting longer than expected. There's also some evidence that the value of the vehicle increases by almost 29k after the upgrade.

• Like x 1
  6. backmost

backmost Member

I was thinking if for some reason the battery bricked or had some type of malfunction occurred that required it to be replaced, which hopefully would be a rare occurrence.

7. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

One definitely couldn't say that about a rebuild/upgrade of any high performance ICE motor ;). For a low-production car, $29K for the costliest core component doesn't seem too bad. This AMG owner was quoted $57K to rebuild his motor...

8. twiersum

twiersum Member

I did call two service centers... $27k refurb, $34k for brand new 56kw.

• Helpful x 1