Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery replacement options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla still replace the original battery or is the only option left to upgrade to the 3.0 battery?

I've been considering getting a Roadster but having to drop $29k a year or two in is a scary thought...
Why would you have to spend 29k after only a year or two? The original batteries are lasting longer than expected. There's also some evidence that the value of the vehicle increases by almost 29k after the upgrade.

Reactions: DeedWest
Only way to find the authentic answer to your question is to call the Tesla Service Center yourself and ask as well as to report back so others are informed.

Why would you have to spend 29k after only a year or two? The original batteries are lasting longer than expected. There's also some evidence that the value of the vehicle increases by almost 29k after the upgrade.

I was thinking if for some reason the battery bricked or had some type of malfunction occurred that required it to be replaced, which hopefully would be a rare occurrence.

From my experience, Tesla charges you for what is wrong on your current battery. In my case I have a bad brick due to a wire bond issue and its only allowing about 50% of full range. Tesla switches out the defective battery with a refurbished one. In my case the bad sheet replacement cost is $4500 plus shipping of the battery to Fremont and Shipping a refurbished replacement battery back to Houston.

This comes with a 4 year / 50K warranty on the refurbished battery pack per the Houston North SC.

I was told this would take about a week for the refurbished battery to be delivered and installed. So based on the one sheet getting replaced due to brick #21 failure.

Costs:
Local Houston SC Work Charges ( removal and re installation) $2,502.61
Fremont Battery Rework Charges ( rivet rework - 1 Sheet) - $2,255.70
TOTAL $4,758.31

From my experience, Tesla charges you for what is wrong on your current battery. In my case I have a bad brick due to a wire bond issue and its only allowing about 50% of full range. Tesla switches out the defective battery with a refurbished one. In my case the bad sheet replacement cost is $4500 plus shipping of the battery to Fremont and Shipping a refurbished replacement battery back to Houston.

This comes with a 4 year / 50K warranty on the refurbished battery pack per the Houston North SC.

Are you sure about the 4 year / 50K warranty on the _entire_ battery pack? Not just that one refurbished sheet? If you are getting the entire battery warrantied for another 4 years, that is an incredible deal. Even if just one sheet, 4 years is very generous (the usual would be 1 year).

Are you sure about the 4 year / 50K warranty on the _entire_ battery pack? Not just that one refurbished sheet? If you are getting the entire battery warrantied for another 4 years, that is an incredible deal. Even if just one sheet, 4 years is very generous (the usual would be 1 year).

Yes I confirmed with the SC that it is for the entire refurbished battery as they are giving me a "refurbed" battery in place of my damaged one. Battery warranty is for 4 years / 50K miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Tex EV
Well after 6 weeks of waiting and having an awesome loaner, Houston North has replace my battery back and I have it back.
Pack ending up costing 4.5K plus shipping. Looks like its an almost NEW pack as the SOC is at 154 which is AMAZING!
Showed 156 for the first few days it came online...but has settled in at 154 for the past week after a few full cycles.

Houston North SC did an great job in acquiring and executing the battery swap with as little inconvenience as possible.

As stated before, I got a 4 year 50K warranty to go with the battery swap.

upload_2018-11-29_15-0-55.png

Thanks Tesla SC!

Hopefully this will be the last issue I have with the battery!

Just wanted to pass along my excellent experience with Tesla on replacing my roadster battery. Only complaint was taking 6 plus weeks to squire the part. PM me if anyone needs more details...

Just wanted to pass along my excellent experience with Tesla on replacing my roadster battery. Only complaint was taking 6 plus weeks to squire the part. PM me if anyone needs more details...

Thanks for this. It should be useful for others to start discussions with their local service centres.

The wording 'customer: approved re-manufacturing of current battery due to SOC imbalance' implies they fixed (re-manufactured) your existing battery pack? So, took it out, shipped it to freemont, re-manufactured, shipped back to service centre, then put back in the car?

Reactions: ICON
No the ESS I got was another one which had already been fixed and upgraded.

Houston north SC had the pack before they took out my damaged ESS.

Houston Roadster tech noted the replacement pack is upgraded with new "features" to make it more durable.

He said Fremont will strip down my old pack, refurbish it and send it to someone else waiting for a new ESS.

Hence the TWO way shipping charges of 1.6K.

My old pack based on my vmsparser logs showed a SOC before the "wire bond" issue was about 140ish and dropping slowly....

The refurbished pack showed a SOC of 154 today after keeping it charging 24 hours.

I still shows some imbalance ( about 5% between lowest brick and highest brick).

I figure it will take some time of charging / discharging to even things out more.

Hopefully I'll get back up to 156 SOC which I got on the first day of the pack....

Needless to say... I'm VERY happy with Tesla and their repair of my car in a "somewhat" timely manner.
Thanks DAC and Christina from Houston North SC for taking outstanding care of me and my roadster!
I only wish they hadn't given me an S to drive for 6 weeks.... Now I'm buying and S to keep my Roadster company in the garage.... lol

Just to be clear... the 4.5K was for replacing ONE faulty sheet in my ESS pack due to a back brick ( rivet failure). If you have other issues with your battery ( multiple bad bricks, BMS board, sensor, etc) your price will be higher or maybe lower. They only charge you for what is wrong with YOUR current defective battery, and provide you with a fully refurbished ESS in place of you bad one. You will need to pay shipping to and from Fremont. In my case it was 1.6K for both shipping charges.

There is a excel sheet they use to figure out the cost of the defective battery. This was mine for the 1 faulty sheet and the Rivet rework required to fix it.

img_3824-jpg.356604

I hope this helps anyone who is in the same scary position of replacing an ESS.

PM me if you have any questions or details...

Attachments

• IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Just to be clear... the 4.5K was for replacing ONE faulty sheet in my ESS pack due to a back brick ( rivet failure). If you have other issues with your battery ( multiple bad bricks, BMS board, sensor, etc) your price will be higher or maybe lower. They only charge you for what is wrong with YOUR current defective battery, and provide you with a fully refurbished ESS in place of you bad one. You will need to pay shipping to and from Fremont. In my case it was 1.6K for both shipping charges.

Very helpful, and thanks for sharing. I really hope that this is Tesla's approach going forward, and they find a way to roll this out globally. It is more than fair, and that 4 year warranty on the refurbished pack must bring peace of mind.