Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement under Warranty: What is the Current Model of my Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 M3P (11,000 miles) will get a new/reconditioned/whatever battery pack under warranty, due to severe loss of range overnight (down to 220 miles @90% charge)

What is the model number of my battery pack? Because I am the lucky owner of the then-new 82KWh batteries that came out right before I bought my car, I want to make sure that they don't replace with the older, 79KWh version.

Also: I am at a loss how Tesla can install reconditioned batteries that will last? Do they pick through old battery packs and select those for my replacement pack that still measure OK? Or what does "reconditioned" mean for a battery pack?

Thanks, Clyde

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer, but I believe what they are guaranteeing you with the warranty is that you will be returned to the range your car should have for its age, etc, not that they are replacing the part with the exact part.

I dont have the answer to your question, but I dont know if you will get to "make sure they dont replace it with the older version". I would look carefully at the warranty document to see what it says, so you dont get surprised. Perhaps I am incorrect on this though. Here is a link to the warranty document for model 3, along with what I believe is the relevant section.

Note, I am not saying " I know its this way" I am saying " I think thats what it says, I would check if I were you". Any "tesla cant do XXX" would need to be directed toward them, if you are not happy with what they end up doing.

(page 7)

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 8.28.02 PM.png

The plot thickens:
The service advisor confirmed that I will get a brand new battery, but- wait! "it's a 75kwh battery like all our dual motor batteries are now".
What? How do they reduce battery capacity, yet maintain the same 0-60 = 3.1 sec. performance specs, and 315 mile range?

What would cause Tesla to reduce battery capacity from the original 82kwh for my 2021 M3P?

The plot thickens:
The service advisor confirmed that I will get a brand new battery, but- wait! "it's a 75kwh battery like all our dual motor batteries are now".
What? How do they reduce battery capacity, yet maintain the same 0-60 = 3.1 sec. performance specs, and 315 mile range?

What would cause Tesla to reduce battery capacity from the original 82kwh for my 2021 M3P

I dont know how they would maintain a rated range of 315 miles, but the speed times etc wouldnt be impacted. Every model 3 from 2017-2020 used the same battery, after all. You may get the same battery new that I got in my car when it was new, which would meet the specifications for returning you to range at least meeting what you had when the battery failed.

0-60 times etc would not be impacted.

I dont know how they would maintain a rated range of 315 miles, but the speed times etc wouldnt be impacted. Every model 3 from 2017-2020 used the same battery, after all. You may get the same battery new that I got in my car when it was new, which would meet the specifications for returning you to range at least meeting what you had when the battery failed.

0-60 times etc would not be impacted.
According to the service tech, this is not a reduced capacity size battery to "prorate" and match my usage over the last 15 months, but a brand new stock battery as currently installed in all 2022 dual motor Model 3 versions.
I have no explanation.

Update: just talked to the service manager and he confirmed: all M3P have a 74kw batery since 2018, since the model was introduced, and that is what I will be getting: the same exact brand new battery pack that is installed in all new M3P. I a stumped.

Last edited:
The good news is that as a 2021 M3P, every single such Model 3 Performance was produced with the "82.1kWh" battery, with 2170L cells. So for any replacement that doesn't put in the right part, they'll have to redo it. Putting in a smaller pack is not an option for them (there was never a 2021 Performance vehicle with a smaller pack - only the AWD had that difference for a portion of 2021). I’m referring to the US market here. The situation in Europe is more complicated, though for the Performance, I think they still get just the 2170L packs and always (for 2021) have.

Whether it's the 79KWh or 82KWh battery pack, they should know and tell me, and they should tell me the maximum (remaining) capacity. No opaque responses accepted.

You should be getting an "82.1kWh" pack, and they should be able to show you that on the diagnostics page in Service Mode, is my understanding. (I'd expect you would have had at the time of failure something like 77-79kWh available given the age of your vehicle and its location in hot, hot Riverside.) Do you know what your rated range was at 100% prior to the failure?

What would cause Tesla to reduce battery capacity from the original 82kwh for my 2021 M3P?

They haven't. Not sure what they're talking about. (It's not unusual to hear unmitigated garbage information from service personnel - this is normal for any service department, Tesla or not.)

It looks to me like they should be replacing part number: 1104423-00-T MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

A couple caveats:
1) The "T" letter may change.
2) In their system, the "reman" parts have a DIFFERENT part number. I suspect the LABEL on the pack (detailed in post above) will still match, though. (But sounds like you might not be getting a reman part.)
3) This information is dated and part numbers may have changed.
4) The base part number is the same for the 82.1kWh and 77.8kWh part numbers... MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc
(The -0L- seems to show up - I assume this refers to the 2170L, so look for that in particular.)

(The short answer here is that I don't know the current model of your battery. Someone with a 2021 Model 3 Performance manufactured at exactly the same time would have to take a peek as outlined above. And I definitely don't know the exact part number for the 2022 Model 3 Performance (again, someone would have to look).
but a brand new stock battery as currently installed in all 2022 dual motor Model 3 versions.

This is correct, as far as I know. All US-made 2022 dual motor Model 3 vehicles NOW come with the "82.1kWh" battery, as far as I know. However, in 2021 AWD, non-P vehicles, 2170L pack, they do tend to show up with a bit less capacity sometimes (between 79-80kWh rather than ~81kWh) - the reason for this is a mystery and it may no longer be happening.

That being said, I haven't been tracking 2022 vehicles much, but their ranges have increased (just like happened with later built 2021 Model 3 non-P AWDs with larger pack) as one would expect for a larger pack (for AWD, up to 358 from 353). I haven't looked at recent EPA documents either. But all the information you seek should be there for your vehicle. Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

Looked quickly: 82.1kWh pulled from the AWD, 80.8kWh for the Performance, for 2022 vehicles.

(Last two pages are the "money" pages. Note the 2022 Performance test was done in July 2020 - no changes there for a while.).

These numbers mildly suggest that they may have perfected their 2170L manufacturing process, or just updated the software, with nameplate energy quantities able to be drawn (82.1kWh is the highest I have ever seen for Model 3, though keep in mind this will not be reflected necessarily in BMS values & SMT readings (typically they are always less than the EPA readings due to a difference in measurement method)).

So if they're not lying to you, and are putting in a brand new stock 2022 battery as currently installed in US market 2022 Dual Motor Model 3 versions, you have nothing to worry about. It looks like it has to be the "82.1kWh" pack; there is no other pack.

just talked to the service manager and he confirmed: all M3P have a 74kw batery since 2018, since the model was introduced, and that is what I will be getting: the same exact brand new battery pack that is installed in all new M3P. I a stumped.

This is, of course, completely false. (Not a surprise.) The 74kWh comes from the “usable” (not including buffer) capacity of the 77.8kWh pack, I believe (74.3kWh).

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and if you can, pay it back by taking a picture of your new battery label using the easy procedure above. A brand new pack would be a wonderful outcome, and fair, given the inconvenience.

We've seen just a couple of reports of sudden massive hits (20%) to capacity on these 2170L packs. One of the prior reports nearly completely recovered after a couple weeks of driving (error in CAC value somehow?). I guess Tesla ran diagnostics on your car and didn't like what they saw; for the other situation I mention they said it was no big deal and to wait it out, and it turned out they were right (I didn't believe it but was proven wrong).

I should add: there is an easy way to tell and set your mind at ease: If your 2021 Performance vehicle after replacement shows ~315 rated miles at 100%, you have nothing to worry about. That indicates you have a very healthy battery, over 80kWh (over ~80.6kWh actually).

Last edited:
I should add: there is an easy way to tell and set your mind at ease: If your 2021 Performance vehicle after replacement shows ~315 rated miles at 100%, you have nothing to worry about. That indicates you have a very healthy battery, over 80kWh (over ~80.6kWh actually).

Indeed, physics could not be overcome, and. lower capacity battery would not give me that range prediction @100% charge.

I also will twist my body and arms and iPhone to take that picture. Thank you for your thorough reply.

Did you get this resolved. My battery pack was just replaced with a remanufactured 75kWh battery as well. and when I asked the service advisor he said all Model 3's come with this battery pack and not the 85kWh.
The only thing you’re owed per the warranty is a replacement that has at least the range and capacity that your original battery did when it failed.

Did they meet that threshold?

Also going through this right now with Tesla service center telling me that a 82kwh battery pack was never made and mine was 74kwh in my 2022 Model 3 LR. The part list for the insurance replacement of my battery says 75kwh. Anyone ever figure this out?

I am at a loss how Tesla can install reconditioned batteries that will last? Do they pick through old battery packs and select those for my replacement pack that still measure OK? Or what does "reconditioned" mean for a battery pack?
If you're not getting a new battery, then it should be a newer battery manufactured around the same time your car was manufactured. It's generally termed an "even exchange." Make sure to confirm the date code of this reconditioned battery. Furthermore, insist on reviewing the test data on this battery. If the battery degradation was more than 5 or 6%, you should not accept it.

Also going through this right now with Tesla service center telling me that a 82kwh battery pack was never made and mine was 74kwh in my 2022 Model 3 LR. The part list for the insurance replacement of my battery says 75kwh. Anyone ever figure this out?
Tesla in general doesnt seem to use the whole capacity for the batteries in their names.

The 2022 Model 3 LR had the 82.1 kWh panasonic 2170L.

As the base for the certification of the 2022 model 3 LR they did draw 82.06 kWh from the battery during the test.
B6D6C1D7-C7D0-4981-93AF-1A0825096425.jpeg

They actually did get 82.06kWh from tve battery, and rechsrge was 92kWh. (Due to losses during charge).

It was not a 74 kWh batt. Maybe you was at 74 kWh before the failure?

2022 model 3 LR EPA test

I can bring some clarity here.
The initial battery the Model 3 had was a "74kwh" battery according to Tesla - by that they mean the 78.8kwh NCA battery.
Back when tesla gave everyone access to debug mode for 1 update by accident I could see that the actual badge for my 2019 performance was actually "P74D" and the battery was a 74kwh battery - even though we all know in reality they have 77-77.8kwh on delivery.

The initial battery the Model 3 had was a "74kwh" battery according to Tesla - by that they mean the 78.8kwh NCA battery.
77.8kWh for FPWN for initial packs. 79kWh or so extracted in EPA testing, sometimes slightly less. Usable 74.3kWh or so when new. More recent LG has 78.8kWh FPWN (I think - just another number floating around which can be searched for here to confirm).

Tesla didnt communicate with me but sent me an invoice for:

1137377-01-M battery

Someone on this forum had this battery inserted in his 2020 LR and it turned out to be a 82kwh refurbished panasonic pack with 79kwh left.
Looks like itll be either a new or refurbished 82kwh battery.

This would be a very cool replacement given that they never made a stealth P with a 82kwh pack.
If it a new pack i wonder whether rated range will still cap at 499km.

Will keep you updated.

If it a new pack i wonder whether rated range will still cap at 499km.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. It doesn’t matter how much energy it has over 76kWh; just displays 499km of course. Seems kind of improbable they’ll replace with one with that much capacity left but definitely keep us updated. 74-76kWh seems more likely (with luck).

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. It doesn’t matter how much energy it has over 76kWh; just displays 499km of course. Seems kind of improbable they’ll replace with one with that much capacity left but definitely keep us updated. 74-76kWh seems more likely (with luck).

does it normally say with the invoice if its refurbished? ill drop my car off on saturday and get a loaner and then go pick my car up on the weekend after. they said they only need it for a day but i cant come during the week.

I personally doesnt care that much if its got some degradation - any degradation it has now it wont get later lol.

Reactions: AAKEE