Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't the first question "how's the current battery holding up"? What's it estimate as range if you were to charge to 100%? (That could be different than the range you'd see when you actually DID charge to 100%, but should be a good first estimate at how degraded the computer thinks the battery is.) What was it when new?

Isn't the first question "how's the current battery holding up"? What's it estimate as range if you were to charge to 100%? (That could be different than the range you'd see when you actually DID charge to 100%, but should be a good first estimate at how degraded the computer thinks the battery is.) What was it when new?
When charged 100% the display shows 221 miles.
The issue seems to be the time it takes to charge.
At home no issue I just plug it in at night.
But at SC stations it is really slow!
I’m guessing the age is causing the slow charge?
I was at one in Orlando recently and I had 85 miles left and after 40 minutes it was at 124.
So my issue is more time to charge when I need to go out of town.
If a new battery pack would be Much faster it may be worth it to me depending on cost.
I’ve heard anywhere from 15k to 25k so not sure?

Perhaps you should create a service ticket for Tesla to check your battery first to see if there is a problem with it or the battery management system.

Slow charging at a supercharger could be due to the battery not being preconditioned, or the current state of charge. The lower the state of charge, the faster the battery charges. In your example, you were at 38% charge when you began charging. You're not going to get full power out of the supercharger at that level. It would be worse if your battery was not fully preconditioned.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Assume you were using a Tesla SuperCharger. Charging above 90% slow.

Planning: When you plan to leave town, park. Then put in your destination and see where the navigation system routes you to your first charger.
i.e. You don't need to wait to leave town with a full charge. Suspect getting out of town before rush hour more important.

I think the Tesla club in your area would be an easy place to get tips from local experienced owners. Go talk with them.
I'm just a lurker, so I'm sure owners will explain and have many tips. I have only viewed YouTube clips.

Reactions: Wesexcellence
Also, make sure you're navigating to the supercharger... (although I could be an idiot, and that could be something that only works with newer cars)

So you have a 75D, I'm assuming? That would have been 238 new, so you're dealing with about 8% of battery degradation? If it's a 90D, that would be more like 14% degradation.

Assuming a 75D, I don't think replacing the battery will do much. The new battery would have the same type of chemistry, you'd still charge at the same speeds: I'd suggest instead trying to maximize the charge speeds.
* Use the computer to navigate to the supercharger to get the software to precondition the battery on route. Usually this will just mean use the Tesla navigation to plan your journey, but if you know you need an extra stop, make sure you put it into the Nav as soon as you're on the road to it.
* Prefer to avoid charging much above 65% at a supercharger. Charge at home for the 90% charges, but on the road get enough to get to the next stop, and go. Don't wait for 90%. Aim to arrive at the next supercharger at only 20%.

To take your Orlando example, 85 miles would be 38% or so? So the charge from 38% to 56% took 40 minutes? Here's a link to someone else's charging curve for a 75D Model X: 75D July 2018 build. What rate of charging at a Supercharger? ... notice that it's above 100kW only from 18% to 38%. If you pull in at 38%, even with a perfectly hot battery this would tell me to expect only about 90kW, dropping to 60kW by 60%. Bad Napkin math estimates it would take about 10 minutes on a hot battery to charge from 38 to 56.

40 minutes does seem slow... That would imply an average of 18kW charging speed. I'm guessing you didn't put the supercharger into navigation, or it didn't take long to get to it? (in my M3, it takes about an hour for the pack to fully heat up while driving)

If navigating to the supercharger doesn't make cause something about preconditioning your battery to show up on the nav screen, then the other option you have for heating up the battery is called "Yo-Yoing", where you do acceleration/regen braking/accelerate hard/regen brake hard loops. But ... that can be unsafe to do on public roads, and any passengers you have will NOT be amused.

I believe most of the slow-supercharging is pretty inherent to the car/battery, and replacing the battery won't fix it... but if it's that slow even if the battery should be warm, talk to service anyway.

Also, make sure you're navigating to the supercharger... (although I could be an idiot, and that could be something that only works with newer cars)

So you have a 75D, I'm assuming? That would have been 238 new, so you're dealing with about 8% of battery degradation? If it's a 90D, that would be more like 14% degradation.

Assuming a 75D, I don't think replacing the battery will do much. The new battery would have the same type of chemistry, you'd still charge at the same speeds: I'd suggest instead trying to maximize the charge speeds.
* Use the computer to navigate to the supercharger to get the software to precondition the battery on route. Usually this will just mean use the Tesla navigation to plan your journey, but if you know you need an extra stop, make sure you put it into the Nav as soon as you're on the road to it.
* Prefer to avoid charging much above 65% at a supercharger. Charge at home for the 90% charges, but on the road get enough to get to the next stop, and go. Don't wait for 90%. Aim to arrive at the next supercharger at only 20%.

To take your Orlando example, 85 miles would be 38% or so? So the charge from 38% to 56% took 40 minutes? Here's a link to someone else's charging curve for a 75D Model X: 75D July 2018 build. What rate of charging at a Supercharger? ... notice that it's above 100kW only from 18% to 38%. If you pull in at 38%, even with a perfectly hot battery this would tell me to expect only about 90kW, dropping to 60kW by 60%. Bad Napkin math estimates it would take about 10 minutes on a hot battery to charge from 38 to 56.

40 minutes does seem slow... That would imply an average of 18kW charging speed. I'm guessing you didn't put the supercharger into navigation, or it didn't take long to get to it? (in my M3, it takes about an hour for the pack to fully heat up while driving)

If navigating to the supercharger doesn't make cause something about preconditioning your battery to show up on the nav screen, then the other option you have for heating up the battery is called "Yo-Yoing", where you do acceleration/regen braking/accelerate hard/regen brake hard loops. But ... that can be unsafe to do on public roads, and any passengers you have will NOT be amused.

I believe most of the slow-supercharging is pretty inherent to the car/battery, and replacing the battery won't fix it... but if it's that slow even if the battery should be warm, talk to service anyway.
May ask what preconditioning involves? And why you mention navigation to get to SC?
I’m sorry I’m confused? Thanks

I ask because I live in Florida and most are relating to cold weather?

Last edited:
Nah that's just pretty much life when it comes to those older Teslas, especially the 350v models. My dad had a 70D which he just sold in favor of a Model Y. Same sort of behavior regardless of preconditioning. Tesla really crippled the supercharging on those older models.

Nah that's just pretty much life when it comes to those older Teslas, especially the 350v models. My dad had a 70D which he just sold in favor of a Model Y. Same sort of behavior regardless of preconditioning. Tesla really crippled the supercharging on those older models.
Oof... 18kW is just insanely slow. Like ... "material change in the product without permission" slow.

70s really got slowed down a lot. 60s and 85s aren't much better.

75s and 90s are better than 60, 70 and 85, but both charge pretty slowly compared to the 100.

Regarding preconditioning, the car will heat the battery pack automatically when you navigate to a Supercharger. A warm pack will charge significantly faster than a cold pack. Ideal temperature for Supercharging is 40C and higher, which can take a bit of time even in Florida.

I'd recommend navigating to a Supercharger a few times and see if that improves your slow charging speeds. Also, please let us know what charging rate (in kW) you get at 20%, 40% and 60%, which will help us determine if your charging is normal. Be sure to change your battery display to % instead of miles - you can toggle back and forth by tapping the number of miles next to the battery icon.

May ask what preconditioning involves? And why you mention navigation to get to SC?
I’m sorry I’m confused? Thanks

I ask because I live in Florida and most are relating to cold weather?
For optimal supercharging, the battery must be heated up to a warmer than normal temperature. This happens summer and winter. If you don't precondition the battery, SC speeds will be much slower until the SC heats up the battery.

You enable preconditioning by selecting a supercharger as the destination in the navigation system. If you are travelling long distance, the nav system will, of course, select superchargers as intermediate destinations along you trip. The car is smart enough to know when to start preconditioning as you navigate toward a supercharger.

For optimal supercharging, the battery must be heated up to a warmer than normal temperature. This happens summer and winter. If you don't precondition the battery, SC speeds will be much slower until the SC heats up the battery.

You enable preconditioning by selecting a supercharger as the destination in the navigation system. If you are travelling long distance, the nav system will, of course, select superchargers as intermediate destinations along you trip. The car is smart enough to know when to start preconditioning as you navigate toward a supercharger.
In scheduling it asks departure time and states battery will be pre conditioned at day 8:00am.

But I have charging at home scheduled for 11:15pm.

So should I change departure to day 10:45pm so it’s conditioned right before I charge?

Or is preconditioning mainly for SC’s?

Thanks

The preconditioning it does via scheduled charging isn't the preconditioning it does when you navigate to a supercharger. I likely don't have this right, but my understanding is one sets the target temp to "eh...somewhere above 5°C, maybe?" .... The other sets it to ~50°C depending on programming/chemistry.

any recourse for us? I have S75 and I'm literally charging at snail speeds compared to how things were just a year ago....