Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called me yesterday afternoon to notify me that my vehicle service was complete (replaced faulty charge door), and casually mentioned that "next time I come in" they will replace my entire LR battery. I started asking questions and was put on hold for a couple minutes, then was told it was "not a safety issue, but a longevity issue" and that Tesla is proactively replacing a certain batch of Model 3 VINs. I took delivery of my dual motor Model 3 last August, has anyone else get notified of this recall?

I asked for more information via email and when I picked up the car, but did not receive anything.

On one hand I am glad that I will get a brand new battery and Tesla is being proactive, but on the other I am very disappointed on the extremely poor communication. It is hard to believe that a safety issue is not a possibility if there is a problem with the quality of the battery pack. Anything that impacts longevity, such as a bad/poor quality cell or cells, will most certainly increase risk of battery pack failure while driving, or worse case result in thermal runaway.

Safety is also a longevity issue, of the driver!!! :D

I spent some time searching the web to figure out how following up with the 'VIN/bulletin tracker' mentioned in the PDF. I found this for recalls (Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)) but I think it was mentioned this was not really a recall. Any thoughts on how to check if your car is impacted?

Earlier in this thread:

I asked the mobile ranger today about this. He said if your car is affected that it’ll show up on a service report (like my tire change today) or you’ll get an email.

I spent some time searching the web to figure out how following up with the 'VIN/bulletin tracker' mentioned in the PDF. I found this for recalls (Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)) but I think it was mentioned this was not really a recall. Any thoughts on how to check if your car is impacted?
Contact Tesla. I contacted via chat but you can also call or email support.

I'll note that Tesla's response here is more proactive than many other car companies, even high end ones. My N-2 car (where N is my current Model S) was a 2001 Porsche Boxster. Lovely and fun car, but not top of the line reliability. One of the things that went wrong was that the relay that controlled whether the convertible top went up, failed. It turns out that in the 1999 time frame Porsche bought something like 10K faulty relays, and they got through QA somehow. It was bad enough that they were all going to fail eventually, and mine did at around 35K miles. Porsche did not issue any kind of recall, just let them fail and fixed them. At least they fixed them for free.

Picked up my Model 3 on 5/23/18. Just checked the door sticker and it was build in 5/2018, serial 19,209. Sent a note to Tesla to check on whether I'm affected by the bulletin. I'll report back, either way.

Thank you, it’ll be interesting to see what they say. I have a 3 produced in May, delivered at the beginning of June. A new battery sounds great but you always have to wonder how well they can put your car back together.

Ugh. Mine was built in early August and delivered in late Aug. here’s to hoping it doesn’t have the issue.
Same here. Except my delivery was in September. How did you find your exact build date? Anyway, I contacted Tesla via chat and asked about this issue and the rep kept saying there were no recalls for my VIN. I don’t think he understood what I was asking since I asked about the Service Bulletin and never mentioned recall. Not too confident on accuracy of communications with Tesla based on my prior and others’ experiences. I haven’t received any emails but then emails from Tesla have been sporadic. So, at this point I’m not going to stress it and will check at the SC when I go for a tire rotation or something else.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Same here. Except my delivery was in September. How did you find your exact build date? Anyway, I contacted Tesla via chat and asked about this issue and the rep kept saying there were no recalls for my VIN. I don’t think he understood what I was asking since I asked about the Service Bulletin and never mentioned recall. Not too confident on accuracy of communications with Tesla based on my prior and others’ experiences. I haven’t received any emails but then emails from Tesla have been sporadic. So, at this point I’m not going to stress it and will check at the SC when I go for a tire rotation or something else.

I don’t know the exact build date but i ordered aug 7th and was told it was ready the next day. the Sticker on the door says August 2018 so I assume it was first week of August.

The Tesla bulletin says .. at the bottom .. to "Refer to the VIN/Bulletin Tracker or Customer/Vehicle profile to determine applicability of this bulletin for a particular vehicle." ..

it sure would be nice to see the VIN list to see if our cars are affected.

Tesla called me yesterday afternoon to notify me that my vehicle service was complete (replaced faulty charge door), and casually mentioned that "next time I come in" they will replace my entire LR battery. I started asking questions and was put on hold for a couple minutes, then was told it was "not a safety issue, but a longevity issue" and that Tesla is proactively replacing a certain batch of Model 3 VINs. I took delivery of my dual motor Model 3 last August, has anyone else get notified of this recall?

I asked for more information via email and when I picked up the car, but did not receive anything.

On one hand I am glad that I will get a brand new battery and Tesla is being proactive, but on the other I am very disappointed on the extremely poor communication. It is hard to believe that a safety issue is not a possibility if there is a problem with the quality of the battery pack. Anything that impacts longevity, such as a bad/poor quality cell or cells, will most certainly increase risk of battery pack failure while driving, or worse case result in thermal runaway.

Another way to look at it is that Tesla tries to give its customers great service. They are not waiting for a failure, they are informing you that they are going to replace a major piece of equipment proactively as a warranty item. I am not so sure you would be able to say the same for most traditional auto manufacturers. But I don't know why so many would give this post a disagree. I get how not receiving a response to the questions you asked out of concern might make you feel a little uneasy. Thanks for sharing.