Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called me yesterday afternoon to notify me that my vehicle service was complete (replaced faulty charge door), and casually mentioned that "next time I come in" they will replace my entire LR battery. I started asking questions and was put on hold for a couple minutes, then was told it was "not a safety issue, but a longevity issue" and that Tesla is proactively replacing a certain batch of Model 3 VINs. I took delivery of my dual motor Model 3 last August, has anyone else get notified of this recall?

I asked for more information via email and when I picked up the car, but did not receive anything.

On one hand I am glad that I will get a brand new battery and Tesla is being proactive, but on the other I am very disappointed on the extremely poor communication. It is hard to believe that a safety issue is not a possibility if there is a problem with the quality of the battery pack. Anything that impacts longevity, such as a bad/poor quality cell or cells, will most certainly increase risk of battery pack failure while driving, or worse case result in thermal runaway.

It is hard to believe that a safety issue is not a possibility if there is a problem with the quality of the battery pack. Anything that impacts longevity, such as a bad/poor quality cell or cells, will most certainly increase risk of battery pack failure while driving, or worse case result in thermal runaway.
While I'm not saying you're wrong, I do think you're jumping to a rapid conclusion by saying that longevity issues must almost always imply safety issues. I don't see that as being the case. If you have a pack that might see a rapid degradation of cells, that doesn't mean you're going to see thermal runaway or other issues. It might mean that in 5 years you've got a pack with 40% degradation, and nothing more. Some longevity issues are associated with safety issues, and some aren't. I don't think the overlap of those circles in the Venn diagram is quite as large as you, though.

I'll note that Tesla should have communicated better. Nobody should tell you about a pack replacement without telling you why it's being replaced. They shouldn't call you without knowing the details. And they shouldn't be so casual about an issue that obviously can raise red flags in some customers.

Good luck, hope the pack is replaced before too long and you can get back your Tesla smile.

Mine was manufactured August 2018. Haven’t received any calls from my SC or any other communications. Since it’s not a recall, is there a listing of affected VIN’s?

Not that I am aware of, and since they don't use VINs in sequence there wouldn't be a range. So your best bet would be to ask Tesla if your car is included in the TSB.

Though from the sound of it you would see significantly less than 310 miles of range at a 100% charge if your battery suffered from this.

Sounds like your battery may be one of the ones covered by this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

Which isn't actually a "recall".

Here’s the crux of the notice:
On certain Model 3 vehicles with the Long Range HV battery, some wire bonds that connect the cells within the HV battery are missing. This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range.

That means that some cell groups have poor or no connection to the shorting bar/current collectordue to a manufacturing error. That means less cells in a given group and less real range.

Tesla has detected this through either process audits or quality control measures. Pack monitoring over larger discharge levels would show this as lower cell group voltages compared to the ones that are correct.

It’s not safety, but you could get stranded when the car thinks it has plenty of range remaining.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder why they just didn’t decide to do a limited recall? Love my car but now I’m concerned that I may have an effed up battery and it’s incumbent upon me to do the legwork to see if my car is affected.

After reading the referenced PDF they have initiated a service campaign. A recall has a distinct legal meaning and involves an agreement or mandate from the government that a certain action takes place.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Tesla called me yesterday afternoon to notify me that my vehicle service was complete (replaced faulty charge door), and casually mentioned that "next time I come in" they will replace my entire LR battery. I started asking questions and was put on hold for a couple minutes, then was told it was "not a safety issue, but a longevity issue" and that Tesla is proactively replacing a certain batch of Model 3 VINs. I took delivery of my dual motor Model 3 last August, has anyone else get notified of this recall?

I asked for more information via email and when I picked up the car, but did not receive anything.

On one hand I am glad that I will get a brand new battery and Tesla is being proactive, but on the other I am very disappointed on the extremely poor communication. It is hard to believe that a safety issue is not a possibility if there is a problem with the quality of the battery pack. Anything that impacts longevity, such as a bad/poor quality cell or cells, will most certainly increase risk of battery pack failure while driving, or worse case result in thermal runaway.

Heard about the spate of Leaf battery fires?

No, neither have I.

Service campaigns, especially those related to longevity, are not all safety problems.

Reactions: SSedan and navguy12
Interesting. I wonder why they just didn’t decide to do a limited recall? Love my car but now I’m concerned that I may have an effed up battery and it’s incumbent upon me to do the legwork to see if my car is affected.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, battery warranty and all. Per this link, the cell groups are in sets of 46. If 10% of them aren’t connected, then you have 10% less total energy in your pack use due to the weakest cell group rule of series voltage sources.

Why are you concerned that Tesla wouldn’t notify you as they did OP if you were affected?

Yours may be in the VIN range, but if there are two or more module lines and the other lines didn’t have this manufacturing defect, then every other or every third car wold only have the defect. If it was one of three operators during one of three shifts on that line, then it’s every sixth module(example only).

Tesla isn’t going to say exactly how many are affected because it complicates and confuses people. VIN range is the easiest.