Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery SC curve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 P85D and yeah i know they nerfed like all the 85's. anyway, i go to the service center every 4 months or so and complain about the SC curve speed and they always say that its fine.
This time i was given an enterprise loaner of a smaller battery 75D so i could check out the speed and lo and behold the curve is much better than my car, yeah I'm shocked /s

You can see in the attached charts the speed curve is quite obviously steeper in my 85 than the rental 75. Now teslas own logic and statements about SC speeds is that smaller packs will reach X percent faster and will then drop speeds faster. Yet here we are with factual proof that is a lie and they wanna tell me my *sugar* is fine. You have to look a the % lines because they don't directly line up with each other but for example the 75 is at 82kW at 40% vs my 85 is at a peek of 70kW at 40%. And notice how the speed doesn't slow down on the 75 till about 33% vs my car it starts dropping instantly and the only straight line is going down.

They had my car since last Friday and I'm going to go pick it up this afternoon and I'm going to show them this graph and see what kind of bullshit excuse they have because the SC speed of my car is annoying AF because if the car says i have to stop for 15 min in reality i have to stop for about 23 min because the speed drops like it does.

My car graph.JPG
rental graph.JPG
Capture.JPG

Reactions: blitzpa and glide
2014 P85D and yeah i know they nerfed like all the 85's. anyway, i go to the service center every 4 months or so and complain about the SC curve speed and they always say that its fine.
This time i was given an enterprise loaner of a smaller battery 75D so i could check out the speed and lo and behold the curve is much better than my car, yeah I'm shocked /s

You can see in the attached charts the speed curve is quite obviously steeper in my 85 than the rental 75. Now teslas own logic and statements about SC speeds is that smaller packs will reach X percent faster and will then drop speeds faster. Yet here we are with factual proof that is a lie and they wanna tell me my *sugar* is fine. You have to look a the % lines because they don't directly line up with each other but for example the 75 is at 82kW at 40% vs my 85 is at a peek of 70kW at 40%. And notice how the speed doesn't slow down on the 75 till about 33% vs my car it starts dropping instantly and the only straight line is going down.

They had my car since last Friday and I'm going to go pick it up this afternoon and I'm going to show them this graph and see what kind of bullshit excuse they have because the SC speed of my car is annoying AF because if the car says i have to stop for 15 min in reality i have to stop for about 23 min because the speed drops like it does.

View attachment 684504View attachment 684505View attachment 684506
I hope you get somewhere with this. I sold my P85D because I could no longer take it on road trips due to the crippled supercharging.

Tesla was less than sympathetic and ignored every piece of data I provided.

I hope you get somewhere with this. I sold my P85D because I could no longer take it on road trips due to the crippled supercharging.

Tesla was less than sympathetic and ignored every piece of data I provided.
Yeah i don't think I'll ever sell it because i have free SC and free premium connectivity, but damn it sure is a huge inconvenience to have to charge for so damn long because they ****ed with the curve. I have definitely thought about selling but i really don't want to give up the free *sugar*, real catch 22 problem.

I wish i would've taken notes of all the SC I've done since i got the car then i would have a better argument but i only started about 2 years ago after i noticed it was slower than it used to be.

Yeah i don't think I'll ever sell it because i have free SC and free premium connectivity, but damn it sure is a huge inconvenience to have to charge for so damn long because they ****ed with the curve. I have definitely thought about selling but i really don't want to give up the free *sugar*, real catch 22 problem.

I wish i would've taken notes of all the SC I've done since i got the car then i would have a better argument but i only started about 2 years ago after i noticed it was slower than it used to be.
The free supercharging became useless for me because it would eat up so much time on every stop I needed to make. For the number of times I took advantage of it, it was just way easier and less stressful to pay per use.

Best of luck with the service center. I’m looking forward to hear what BS they shovel on you.

The data for my P85D (manual collection via app screenshots! :)) pretty much jives with yours. I added a “kW vs Elapsed Minutes” chart and the data shows that the “max” charging rates occur for only the first 6-10mins. After that it quickly settles in to ~80kW, tapering down to ~40kW until 70% SoC. Agonizingly slow after that.
Also like you, I’m kicking myself for not having the data before BatteryGate, when we could honestly stop for 35mins and be at 80%+.

Just left the service center and they called out the tech that worked on my car to answer my questions.

He says the computer that hooks up to the car says everything is all good. Which includes the 11% degradation of my battery. The computer is basically binary, it's a yes/no for if the battery is good, and if it's .01% above whatever the threshold is then it'll say it's good until it crosses this unknown point at which it say no it's bad.

He asked about how I got all the info for the graphs and I told him it was screenshots from the Tesla app that I imported manually into excel. He says if I can add the locations to the date and time stamps I already have that he will send it up to the corporate engineers and they can take a closer look at everything.

So I don't believe them to be doing anything once I will send the info but I'll do it anyway. Gonna take me a few hours tonight to update the spreadsheet but it's not like I was gonna do anything anyway.

Just left the service center and they called out the tech that worked on my car to answer my questions.

He says the computer that hooks up to the car says everything is all good. Which includes the 11% degradation of my battery. The computer is basically binary, it's a yes/no for if the battery is good, and if it's .01% above whatever the threshold is then it'll say it's good until it crosses this unknown point at which it say no it's bad.

He asked about how I got all the info for the graphs and I told him it was screenshots from the Tesla app that I imported manually into excel. He says if I can add the locations to the date and time stamps I already have that he will send it up to the corporate engineers and they can take a closer look at everything.

So I don't believe them to be doing anything once I will send the info but I'll do it anyway. Gonna take me a few hours tonight to update the spreadsheet but it's not like I was gonna do anything anyway.
I got the same line of BS from them. Get us stall numbers, time and date stamps, charging speed, try different chargers in different locations, and they would send to corporate for analysis. End result: everything ”looked okay”. Total BS and nothing but a waste of time.

If you opted out of the arbitration clause during your initial purchase I would seriously ask them to consider a buy-back. If you did not opt out of arbitration you may be out of luck. The good news now, is that if you did decide to sell you could probably get more than you paid for it.