TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Service Required (Battery Bleed Scan) Error

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by coolVariable, Sep 11, 2020.

1. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

Ugh. I have been driving my Roadster pretty rarely due to COVID and I discovered the dreaded Battery Service Required error message.
    Going into the VMS, the debug code is apparently Battery Bleed Scan.

The car charges fine as far as I can tell.
    Below are pictures of the VMS. Anything I should be doing? Is my battery dying? (Please no!)

Car was only serviced "recently" by ExecMotorwerkz (a couple of months ago but I probably have put less than 100 miles on since).

Attached Files:

2. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

#2 MLAUTO, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    It looks fine at the moment. The battery may eventually get out of balance, and if that happens you will need to get it fixed. Sounds like you have the common loose rivet connection on one of the bricks. The bleed test checks the ability to bleed off voltage to balance the pack. It could be OK for years, or start giving you problems next week. Just another one of the many design flaws in the Roadster Tesla refuses to correct at no cost. They will be more than happy to take lots of your money to fix it however.

3. CAR3NUT

CAR3NUT Supporting Member

Contact Pet Gruber of Gruber Motor Company in Phoenix, AZ at the following email address [email protected] with the screen shots you have posted. He will review them at no cost to you and give you a tentative analysis.

4. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

Thank you for the responses. I will contact Peter.
    I did charge the car after the error popped up and it charged to full (in standard) and the error went away.

5. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

I spoke too soon. The error is back.

6. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

7. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

Looks like my sheets are all pretty well aligned ...

Attached Files:

• ahr.txt
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
  8. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Yes, everything looks fine right now. You will notice a drop in range if the pack gets out of balance, so I would just ignore the warning until then.

9. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

Thank you ML!
    Greatly appreciate your insights as always.
    Now I wish I still had the other battery ;-)