TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

battery sizes/options priority for me

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tsla007, Jul 31, 2016.

1. tsla007

tsla007 Member

If we take battery size as the same as car size (25% smaller) than S then:
    75kw would be max at this time.
    New battery sizes might add about 7% more kw in the same space.
    75 seems to make sense to me (333m).
    Then the 60kw and entry 45kw.
    Now if Elon wants to throw the curve ball we might see:
    48, 58, 68 instead.
    Now if 45 would get 215m range: comes out to 4.44444m per kw.
    311m for 70kw
    and 266m for 60kw.
    I think it would be great if they are 45kw, 55kw, 68kw-is max of 90kw*.75

My dream is to get 422m just like a civic/prius/porsche/corolla/camry/legend/maxima etc. (this is why it is a dream)
    I know it's easier to just get a different size gas tank for the burn your money autos than to get more range from an EV.
    But why can't they re-engineer the battery to hold more cells to get to this range?! Yeah, it'll cost more money but you'll get a lot further and not have to stop to charge up in 6 hrs. (every 3hrs on the highway for standard size)
    To get to my dream distance: I would need a 95kw battery pack in a mdl 3. I know it can't be done and that's okay.

My ordering priority is as follows:
    dual motor is an absolute must have first.
    Battery size is second-close to what I have set aside for the car (max price is 47.5k for me)
    I'm hoping that phillygal is right with her estimates and I can get the dual motor with med battery for a package upgrade together that will get me free sc for life. If so, done!
    Next, I'll take the pano glass roof
    then cold weather package
    AP would probably be next but I'm sure I'll be tapped out by then.
    If I could get all of this in a package with no P or L in my price range-sold!

Any dog package for the back seat? Accessory please.
    My AKC show golden retriever would love a posturepedic back seat to lay on. Will there be handles for the rear passengers up above the windows (can't see this in the pictures posted)? This is where his ruff belt gets attached. I can always custom make this bed but thought it would be great if Tesla had it.

• Dislike x 2
  2. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Basic car is 200 mile range with software upgrade 250 mile range at this point.

250 mile upgrade $5K
    AWD upgrade $7K
    Subzero $1K

$48K. If that is your price range.

Dog package? Tesla is going for hatchback design similar to TS with the hinge right in back of the rear passenger head rests. Seats will hopefully go down. After that you'll have to build your dog pound. Do they make harnesses for dogs that attack to the child seat hooks?

• Like x 1
  3. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

What in the world is going on in this thread?

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  4. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Double trolls. Well known. Don't feed them.

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. KeRaSh

KeRaSh Member

Just to make sure that new visitors don't get the wrong idea by reading uninformed speculation, but Elon Musk has already confirmed via Twitter that the "D" option will cost less than $5k.

6. tsla007

tsla007 Member

Ke-yeah, that's what I thought too. I don't believe Eagles at all.
    the 5k for the battery upgrade is way too high. At 100.00/kw I'd expect to pay 125/kw. (25% profit)
    I'm guessing dual motor will be about 3500-4k.
    BTW-I'm not a troll people. Just because I sold out for a massive profit in the stock doesn't mean I'm short or bashing Tesla's product. We all should be short today though as solarcity is to be acquired today -a downer for Tesla stock holders. I'm hoping that it goes down after quarterly report to about 180-190 and I'll buy it back. Right now just hording cash in the account. I might hold out for hyperloop going public.

7. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Chuckle...OK...$4,999.99. As you note, there are no specifics on the numbers for the T3 option charges, all are plug numbers. It will be interesting if Tesla builds all as T3's as 250M, AWD, Autopilot cars and for those who don't go for those "basic" options, just turns them off. This lowers the "option" cost and selling price and boosts the number of customers who order it.

One model T3 to rule them all.

8. KeRaSh

KeRaSh Member

No.

9. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

ummmm, tesla charges $500 per kwh to jump from S60 to S75, and even more to make the same 15kwh jump on the model X. If you think Tesla will cut the cost to consumer by 75% in less than 2 years, you are nuts.

• Like x 1
  10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I don't believe the "IF" of the first sentence. Therefore I won't agree or disagree with the rest of the post.

11. tsla007

tsla007 Member

@flame -if you cut out the round the world twice before the battery is built in the cost-yeah you do cut the cost by 68%.
    Elon pointed this out at the giga grand opening. Guess you didn't watch the video or you weren't there like me.

• Dislike x 1
  12. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Actually I had them reversed.

AWD upgrade is currently $5,000
    Battery upgrade is $8,500
    Autopilot $2,500

Interestingly, the AWD upgrade is the only hardware upgrade and that is the lowest cost. While the base price of the T3 is close to 50% less than that of a TS60, likely the options will be closer to current prices.

13. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

well, aren't you special..

so they are spending billions on building gigafactory, and you think the savings that they get as a result are going into your pocket? 68% cost cutting might translate to 10-25% savings for consumers, but if you are relying on your battery upgrade costing 3-4K to get it -- sorry bud, you'll be driving a base model.

• Like x 1