Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swap 60 to 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an added revenue stream for Tesla, I wonder if they'll allow S60 owners to 'upgrade' to the S85 in the near future. Given that they've already increased the HP to match the S85 (according to the CPO vehicles being sold online) it would make sense to allow folks to pay the additional cost by simply swapping batteries. If it really can be done in as little as a few minutes, seems like a win-win for both parties.

As an added revenue stream for Tesla, I wonder if they'll allow S60 owners to 'upgrade' to the S85 in the near future. Given that they've already increased the HP to match the S85 (according to the CPO vehicles being sold online) it would make sense to allow folks to pay the additional cost by simply swapping batteries. If it really can be done in as little as a few minutes, seems like a win-win for both parties.

It's not win-win - at least not right now. Until the Gigafactory comes online, Tesla will most likely continue to be battery limited. That is, we believe that Tesla for every battery pack they build, Tesla can sell another car to someone on one of their waiting lists.

Even if the demand for the Model S slacked off (no sign of that,) Tesla has a year of Model X deposits stacked up, and then all the folks (like me) who are probably in the market for an X, but are waiting to actually see it before committing.

That being the case, every pack they sell as an upgrade today is a car they don't sell - so unless the pack carries the same total profit margin as the car, Tesla loses money. In the longer term, I expect that they will sell upgrades once the batteries stop being the limiting factor - possibly through the battery swap stations like the one they are piloting at Harris Ranch.
Walter

It's not win-win - at least not right now. Until the Gigafactory comes online, Tesla will most likely continue to be battery limited. That is, we believe that Tesla for every battery pack they build, Tesla can sell another car to someone on one of their waiting lists.

Even if the demand for the Model S slacked off (no sign of that,) Tesla has a year of Model X deposits stacked up, and then all the folks (like me) who are probably in the market for an X, but are waiting to actually see it before committing.

That being the case, every pack they sell as an upgrade today is a car they don't sell - so unless the pack carries the same total profit margin as the car, Tesla loses money. In the longer term, I expect that they will sell upgrades once the batteries stop being the limiting factor - possibly through the battery swap stations like the one they are piloting at Harris Ranch.
Walter

Appreciate the insight and feedback!