Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swap Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever got final confirmation or know of people who have been confirm doing replacing their battery with a larger capacity? For example those buying S60 upgrading to 70 or 85. Or 70 upgrading to 85 or 90?

I got a 70D now on loan, after 3 years pondering of keeping it and upgrading the battery than returning to buy a larger capacity like a 90D

At least one guy got Tesla to upgrade his 60 to an 85, for $18,000:

Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

From what I've heard, they won't do that anymore.

Supposedly they will upgrade an 85 to a 90 for something like $22,500. I haven't seen anyone say they've taken that offer, and I can't see why anyone would.

I haven't seen anything about upgrading a 70, aside from the 75 upgrade available for the late-model 70s which were actually software-locked 75s.

Of course, this could all change in three years. Tesla's battery production capacity should be way up, and costs will be down. Certainly it's physically possible, the question is just whether Tesla would offer it, and on what terms.

What will be interesting is 4 or 5 years from now when some 85 batteries need to be replaced, will they be 1) replaced by identical batteries they have lying around, 2) the then current 90, 100, or higher packs software limited to 85, or 3) an option to upgrade to higher capacity for the price difference of what the 85 would have been and the current price of the then available 90, 100, or whatever capacity it is.

I find it hard to believe that they'll have 85's lying around in 4 years. Of course in 4 years, the 85 might come back and be the entry level model.