Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That difference can allow you to travel at higher speeds between stations or even skip a stop. And for 60kWh owners, it might make certain trips possible that may be impossible (or difficult like having to travel at slow speeds on the truck lane) just on their own pack.

Which totally negates the safety factor of SCs.

And the use case is completely wrong. Battery swaps are for long distance travel, not topping off from 65-75% to 85%-90%. That's apples to oranges. The comparison is 20 minutes for roughly 50% of charge (~130 EPA miles) vs 90 seconds for 90%-100% charge (240-265 EPA miles). That difference can allow you to travel at higher speeds between stations or even skip a stop. And for 60kWh owners, it might make certain trips possible that may be impossible (or difficult like having to travel at slow speeds on the truck lane) just on their own pack.

That may be true. But even so, I will be shocked if there is enough demand in the demo stations to justify expanding the swap stations nationwide.
It is tough to compete with free and 20 minutes is not a big deal if it avoids all of the others hassles of a battery swap, such as the requirement to come back for the original battery to avoid extra charges.
Just my opinion. I think it is for marketing purposes only.

There are just about enough people on the road that don't mind the cost of pumping gas. Imagine all the sales people driving corporate cars that don't have to pay for gas. Their time is much too precious to them, and to their employers. They will favor battery swap over a supercharging session (and waiting queue) in spite of the cost.

someone up thread said:
Supercharging is not addressing owners, it is addressing owners-to-be.

I think that nails it.

That may be true. But even so, I will be shocked if there is enough demand in the demo stations to justify expanding the swap stations nationwide.
It is tough to compete with free and 20 minutes is not a big deal if it avoids all of the others hassles of a battery swap, such as the requirement to come back for the original battery to avoid extra charges.
Just my opinion. I think it is for marketing purposes only.

the battery swap will encourage more fleet vehicles to become electric.
Example: taxi fleets would benefit from the quick change battery by avoiding down time while charging.