Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swapping Event - Live Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you swap different size packs? I see this as a use case if possible. I.e. I have a 60. But the SCs are spaced making a 60 road trip tough. Switch to an 85 for the trip, then get yoru 60 back at the end of the trip. But because of other internal differences, I'm assuming this cant be done. Unless the software can tune the other differences...

I think someone's scared. Half the tweets on my stream were promoted by competors.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371788964.415044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371788964.415044.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 986
If you have the time, you will use the free Supercharger. If you are in a hurry and your time is valuable, you will pay the $99 so you can save a few minutes. I guess it really depends on how much of a charge do you need? Are you rolling in with 10% of your battery pack?

Can you swap different size packs? I see this as a use case if possible. I.e. I have a 60. But the SCs are spaced making a 60 road trip tough. Switch to an 85 for the trip, then get yoru 60 back at the end of the trip. But because of other internal differences, I'm assuming this cant be done. Unless the software can tune the other differences...

From an engineering standpoint there isn't anything holding that back. I am sure the battery carriers a unique identifier and the software should be able to handle the difference with no problem if it is done well, which I am sure it is.

Give it time. With more volume and costs covered from the initial early adopter premium, swaps will be cheaper than gas I'm sure.

If it truly costs $500K to build each of these swapping stations, I can't imagine how this would amount to anything other than a stunt or a huge loss of valuable resources. I just can't think of a reason why there would be any significant number of people who would go through with this. I am more than happy using the SCs for any long distance trip I may need to take a few times a year. How many others would need to forego the free SCs any pay anything, let alone $100, for the effort to swap a battery?

Even in that best case example, that would buy you 500 miles in the Porsche and half that in the S making the cost double
My guess is that your original battery gets charged while you are away and obviously you aren't charged to pick up your battery. So in a way it is 2 swaps for $99 and thus the same price as the Panamera example. Funny though, with the choice between $99 and free I wonder how many people will choose $99.