Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swapping station "inventory" provided by trade-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, let me start by saying this entire thread is complete conjecture, but of course, when has that ever stopped a good idea?

Facts based on verified (fully or partially) accounts on TMC:

1. Tesla is buying used Model S vehicles from owners switching up to the P85D.
2. Used inventory is being shipped to California.
3. Tesla is not offering said inventory for sale (yet).
4. New battery swap station is under construction in California (Harris Ranch).
5. Tesla is somewhat production constrained on battery cells.

Guesses:

6. Some goodly percentage of used Tesla inventory contains older "A", "B" battery packs
7. If newer "D"/"E" battery packs are used to stock the battery swapping stations, this might allow customers to leave their old "A", "B" packs behind

NIFTY IDEA:

8. Take used inventory Model S battery packs and put them in the swapping stations.
9. Put new "E" packs in the old used inventory and provide "from new" warranty essentially making these cars worth more than used cars elsewhere (eBay, etc. outside of Tesla)
10. PROFIT

Comments welcome.

11. Tesla charges your credit card the difference in value of the "E" pack you kept & the "A" pack you abandoned at the swapping station (nothing is free).

Right, but what is that difference going to be, a few hundred, maybe a thousand $?
In the scenario where Tesla builds "E" packs that stock battery swapping stations, these packs did not go into a car for sale, thus "losing" $25K per pack!
Remember, Tesla have 27% profit margin on average $110K sale in Q4 2014.

*Total wild guess.

if someone keeps an "E" & leaves behind an "A" with 30k miles I wouldn't be surprised if the charge was $10,000 or so.

That would be insane. It should be based on the car's computer's average calculated range. Give example, my laptop gives a average ware estimate. After 8 years and a crap load of use, it reports the battery cells having 41% of the original capacity.

While not 100% accurate, it would be more accurate then just basing it on mileage. As in, my battery was replaced at 34,000 miles. Replacement now has 10,000 miles on it. The car doesnt know that. Car just knows it has driven 44,000 miles. Also, what if one person baby's the pack, and the next left it at 100% sitting in their garage in Arizona for 6 months while they went on a international vacation or business trip, and that battery somehow lost 50% of it's capacity due to heat and high state of charge. But that battery may only have, say 1,000 miles on it.
See where I'm going with this?
The car DOES have a ware estimate in % form. I have seen it. Wish I had the pictures to prove it, but that was part of the agreement to see it ;) Unfortunately, it wasnt my car, otherwise my grip of my accelerated range loss on my replacement pack would be put to rest already, or made worse...

I thought I read the retail price of a 85kWh pack was around $44k, combine that with the low trade in offers Tesla has been making recently then its not that much of a stretch to ask $10k if someone wants to dump their "A" pack. I can't wait to see the details on how this is all going to work.

I thought I read the retail price of a 85kWh pack was around $44k, combine that with the low trade in offers Tesla has been making recently then its not that much of a stretch to ask $10k if someone wants to dump their "A" pack. I can't wait to see the details on how this is all going to work.
I'm waiting to hear if 60kW owners can swap for a 85 :) If we can, I'm headed on a immediate road trip!

I believe I read somewhere that they are always round trip swaps... You must return to get your original pack swapped in after your trip. It's not like you can upgrade your pack in any scenario. Remember Tesla knows where the car is and they can shut it down if you don't return the borrowed pack.

I remember 3 options, (its been awhile since the demo)

1. Pay $60 for the initial swap, then return pay again & get your battery pack back.
2. If you don't return to the swapper they will ship your pack to your service center for a fee & switch it there.
3. Keep the swapped pack & pay the difference in value.

That was then, details & fine print still needed.

I remember 3 options, (its been awhile since the demo)

1. Pay $60 for the initial swap, then return pay again & get your battery pack back.
2. If you don't return to the swapper they will ship your pack to your service center for a fee & switch it there.
3. Keep the swapped pack & pay the difference in value.

That was then, details & fine print still needed.

Yup. The details on option 3 will be very interesting...

When the new car wash opens, all of this hypothesizing will go away.

But ... There has been reports that Tesla will be automating battery installation at the factory. Once they're doing that reliably, then you'll have a basis for swapping. In an electric future, battery swapping could be a cheap battery replacement system, rather than an expensive charging system.

Tesla has storage at Fremont, and I think that'd be a better prospect if they wanted to get the old packs out of the cars. I don't see them doing that, though.

When the new car wash opens, all of this hypothesizing will go away.

But ... There has been reports that Tesla will be automating battery installation at the factory. Once they're doing that reliably, then you'll have a basis for swapping. In an electric future, battery swapping could be a cheap battery replacement system, rather than an expensive charging system.

Tesla has storage at Fremont, and I think that'd be a better prospect if they wanted to get the old packs out of the cars. I don't see them doing that, though.

If they swap your battery and wash your car at the same time that'd be problematic but if they swap your battery and then wash your car afterwards in the same few minutes that would be awesome. :)

I'm assuming they took the washing equpiment out of the old car wash though. :)

Perhaps when they get a bunch of the "old" 85kwh A packs, they could be used as discounted upgrades for some of the range hungry 60 owners.
It'll be interesting to see if 60kWh to 85kWh is even an option. If I recall correctly they refused to offer this for people who requested it be done manually, so it'll be interesting to see if it becomes an option once the swap infrastructure is installed.

It'll be interesting to see if 60kWh to 85kWh is even an option. If I recall correctly they refused to offer this for people who requested it be done manually, so it'll be interesting to see if it becomes an option once the swap infrastructure is installed.

Correct, as I and many others have asked, Tesla won't do this anymore. I am hoping for a change in that policy. I won't hold my breath though. If not when swap comes online, perhaps when the gigglefactory comes online and they release the >100kwh pack.

Correct, as I and many others have asked, Tesla won't do this anymore. I am hoping for a change in that policy. I won't hold my breath though. If not when swap comes online, perhaps when the gigglefactory comes online and they release the >100kwh pack.
Agreed. I even asked at the Tesla Showroom before placing my order, and was told that a pack upgrade was possible....