Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Temperature Low Message at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my 2023 MY one month. Until yesterday, I've only charged at home. I got a message on my display "Charging rate limited by low battery temperature. Vehicle is improving battery temperature to increase charge rate. " I was surprised to get the message since I had navigated to a SuperCharger from 50 miles away. Ambient temperature was around 60 deg. F so this was not cold weather driving. I thought if you selected a SuperCharger in navigation, it would automatically condition the battery in time to charge. Any thoughts?

While in Florida recently, I discovered that the FPL Evolution Chargers are 350kW and charge must faster and are cheaper than Tesla. They do require the CC1 adapter.
Not exactly. CCS adapters on 2022 Tesla's reach a peak of 141KW or thereabouts. That's been reported by a few owners and myself, connecting at about 20% SOC. Cheaper yes, faster no, when considering V3 SuperChargers. But definitely good chargers to use.

Upvote 0
Tesla CCS adapters peak around ~190kW at a 500A CCS station.

They'll do up to 250kW, but as far as I know, no station exists that can deliver that yet. Only Superchargers "bend" the rules to go over 500A of current for a 400V architecture.

Reactions: golferguy
Upvote 0
I have not yet Supercharged, so this question might seem odd.

Q: When one navigates to a chosen Supercharger, is it important to follow the exact route the car has picked? I have found that the mapping software can make odd route choices that aren't favorable to efficiency when a desination is a target, and even bizzare and wrong routes are sometimes offered. So if one deviates from the route to S.C., does it cancel the pre-conditioning?

Upvote 0
I have not yet Supercharged, so this question might seem odd.

Q: When one navigates to a chosen Supercharger, is it important to follow the exact route the car has picked? I have found that the mapping software can make odd route choices that aren't favorable to efficiency when a desination is a target, and even bizzare and wrong routes are sometimes offered. So if one deviates from the route to S.C., does it cancel the pre-conditioning?
No, as long as you are driving after starting a route then preconditioning for Supercharging will continue until either you reach the Supercharger or the target battery temperature is reached. If you live close by a Supercharger you can even drive in circles extending your time driving to the Supercharger to give the Tesla Model Y time to raise the battery temperature a bit closer to the target 50C. Nothing bad will happen if your Tesla Model Y's battery is not fully preconditioned for Supercharging. The maximum charging power level will be reduced, charging will take longer. If the battery is not sufficiently preconditioned for Supercharging the Tesla Model Y will display message advising that you should precondition for optimal Supercharging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and Bikeman
Upvote 0