Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Temperature Management

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trend is away from cooling each cell. BMW and Chevy are no longer doing this and only cool one side w heat sinks between prismatic cells. The Leaf has no active cooling at all with very little degradation in the most recent packs where 100% charging is mandatory. The Leaf does heat the pack, but not for each cell.

The presumption that the Model 3 will continue the crazy complexity of the Model S/X battery packs is my point. That doesn't mean you will not get 8 years from the battery pack, but you might expect 25% degradation rather than the 15% or whatever they predict on the current design.

@jkk_ I have two Model 3s on order since before the announcement that I attended. I don't like my wife's Model X and don't particularly like the Model S either, but need AWD in an EV to get me snow boarding. I think the battery design for both was a kludge necessary at the time, but is no longer. When you hear that buzz saw of an A/C compressor kick in to cool the pack on a hot day or while charging, you may agree.
Wouldn't supercharging destroy the battery life without active cooling? To be honest I am unsure how good cooling just the bottom of the pack would be for high rate DC charging.

The presumption that the Model 3 will continue the crazy complexity of the Model S/X battery packs is my point. That doesn't mean you will not get 8 years from the battery pack, but you might expect 25% degradation rather than the 15% or whatever they predict on the current design.

@jkk_ I have two Model 3s on order since before the announcement that I attended. I don't like my wife's Model X and don't particularly like the Model S either, but need AWD in an EV to get me snow boarding. I think the battery design for both was a kludge necessary at the time, but is no longer. When you hear that buzz saw of an A/C compressor kick in to cool the pack on a hot day or while charging, you may agree.

Overall, everything that reduces complexity is in general a good thing. I'm torn whether or not 25% degradation in 8 years is good or bad. Mind you, average age for cars in this part of the globe is around 12 years or so.

Closest I've come to the buzz saw ( :D ) I've come is via youtube videos, so no denying the fact that you have more information than me regarding how it behaves :)

A good reason not to purchase a car with that kind of poor BMS.

As Elon has discussed many times, Tesla is intent on removing the barriers to EV adoption. Two of those are:

- The trepidation folks have over battery longevity
- The barriers to long distance travel

Longevity and associated capacity degradation are directly tied to the temperature envelope the battery operates in. Liquid cooling for thermal management helps in this arena.

Long distance travel is addressed by Superchargers. These are likely the greatest thermal loads on the battery, as li-ion cells generate more heat when charging than discharging, and Superchargers are the highest charge rates the pack will experience. This is why you'll hear the thermal management system working overtime when supercharging in any sort of warmer weather.

Barring some radical new battery chemistry, I don't see Tesla risking the reputation of the technology by compromising on thermal management.

What's more, we know they are considering a larger cell format. For a cylindrical cell, the larger it is, the less the surface area to volume ratio. This impacts how effective cooling can be, particularly air cooling.

Assuming the new cells are 22700 format, as compared to today's 18650's, that represents 61% more volume per cell, but only 32% more surface area. If anything that implies a greater likelihood that air cooling would be less effective, and that they'd retain some liquid cooling system.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Overall, everything that reduces complexity is in general a good thing. I'm torn whether or not 25% degradation in 8 years is good or bad. Mind you, average age for cars in this part of the globe is around 12 years or so.
While less degradation is certainly desireable, if the options were, for the same price:

A) simpler systems, 60 kWh (+10%) battery that degrades to 45 kWh (-25%) in 8 yrs
B) more complex systems, 55 kWh battery that degrades to 47 kWh (-15%) in 8 yrs

I'd definitely pick option A.

The worst part of my 2011 Leaf with 85k on it and 5 years is that the battery has now degraded 34%, with a 40-50 mile range. This is in Oregon. I'll never buy again with out thermal management. I'm really looking forward to the M3 having thermal management for the batteries.

I am on my 4th Leaf. Two 2011, one 2013, and a 2016. I use the last two currently. I think there have been 2-3 battery iterations since the 2011 version for Nissan. I think the most recent ones are better, but probably won't own them long enough to find out.

While less degradation is certainly desireable, if the options were, for the same price:

A) simpler systems, 60 kWh (+10%) battery that degrades to 45 kWh (-25%) in 8 yrs
B) more complex systems, 55 kWh battery that degrades to 47 kWh (-15%) in 8 yrs

I'd definitely pick option A.

And I'd pick option B even though I'm advocating for as big battery as possible :p

Reactions: Booga and melindav
Looks like LG/Bolt and BMW have a far simpler and effective system than the Model S/X. Let's hope the Model 3 is not saddled with the Gen1 kludge in current Tesla models.

Didn't have time to go through the article in detail, how well does that system work with battery heating in cold temperatures?

I'd assume that Model S's and Xs get gen2 system before the 3 is out, and as a consequence the 3 will also have gen2 system.

The trend is away from cooling each cell. BMW and Chevy are no longer doing this and only cool one side w heat sinks between prismatic cells. The Leaf has no active cooling at all with very little degradation in the most recent packs where 100% charging is mandatory. The Leaf does heat the pack, but not for each cell.

I don't see the other manufactures using such high current for charging and discharging... Therefore whatever they are doing is irrelevant and/or inadequate for a performance application. In addition, most probably need better cooling solutions because they have a lower surface area to volume ratio for the cells.

Looks like LG/Bolt and BMW have a far simpler and effective system than the Model S/X. Let's hope the Model 3 is not saddled with the Gen1 kludge in current Tesla models.
Yes, Tesla is not yet a tech leader in battery thermal management which is surprising given their business. In addition to the LG/Bolt/BMW system, there are other prospective systems such as GCoreLab's out of Singapore which may be even lower cost.

You are speaking present tense with LG/Bolt and BMW. While there's evidence that BMW is using it in the i3, it's likely a bit early to determine how effective it is. The article only hypothesizes that the Bolt will have it, so it's definitely too early there.

As for kludge? Please.

The dual-loop design also allows waste heat from the drive unit or the pack heaters to use the same plumbing to also warm the batteries in cold weather, avoiding separate systems to have to be integrated in to the pack. Unless, of course, the BMW an LG designs intend to forego cold temperature thermal management.

The roadster pack has shown exceptional performance from an energy retention standpoint. The Model S appears to do at least as well, if not better. The other players really don't have much of a track record yet, so calling Tesla's proven design a kludge seems a bit much, no?