Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery to 0 overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my model 3 just a few days ago. Has anyone had issues with their model 3 and a drop in battery overnight? My battery was about 100 Miles, and in the morning it was 0. This seems incredibly odd and way too significant of a drop. Software issues potentially?
unrelated note, but maybe good idea to add signature so no 3rd party can randomly quote your comment here like the LA times paper.

Reactions: R.S
Thanks for everyone’s responses so far. I was able put my car in transport mode and role it into my garage for the stronger charge port that I’ve got installed. It seems to be charging like normal. Once it hits 100, I was thinking of leaving it outside again just to confirm the behavior that I’ve seen and if 30-40 degree weather is causing the 100 mile drop. Again, people are saying this shouldn’t be possible, so let’s see I guess? I’ll find out more tomorrow from tesla support as well.

Attachments

• 8C0DB97B-3C5F-41D4-A9CA-9A0275097BB4.png
    8C0DB97B-3C5F-41D4-A9CA-9A0275097BB4.png
    998.3 KB · Views: 178
Once it hits 100, I was thinking of leaving it outside again just to confirm the behavior that I’ve seen and if 30-40 degree weather is causing the 100 mile drop. Again, people are saying this shouldn’t be possible, so let’s see I guess?

My own phrasing was 'improbable', i.e., unlikely, since 30 kwh is a lot of energy to consume in one spot without moving around the tonnage of the vehicle. I said that right after suggesting an unlikely possibility -> cabin heater running substantially high, cabin vented, car outside. If that (or whatever else) were high enough to draw, say, 2 kw of power for 15 hours, then Bob's your Uncle. The other possibility was that something was wrong and you needed service, so I think folks just wanted to make sure they got your attention on that.;)

In either case, it's good that you've got the car accepting electrons and you've got service on the horn.

Reactions: F_T_K
Except if the battery is too cold to draw power it wont work. The real issue is they chose to cut a necessity for an EV in cold weather in order to bring the cost down to become a mass market car.
And how would a regular heater work if the battery is too cold to draw power? I don't think you understand how Tesla is using the powertrain to generate heat without moving the car.

arnold

This was written in a thread about the 2018.6 update for Model S, could this be the problem?

I spoke with Tesla this morning about pushing an update to my car because I haven't gotten one after mine had a failed install. I asked her what improvements were in the newest software and she said they also had some improvements to the autowipers. There is also a new predictive climate control that is on by standard. She said a lot of people have been calling in wondering why their climate control starts up all on its own and this is why. Once you get the update be sure to switch that off if you don't want that. It is a location and time based predictive climate control.

Software Update 2018.6

Except if the battery is too cold to draw power it wont work. The real issue is they chose to cut a necessity for an EV in cold weather in order to bring the cost down to become a mass market car.

Eh? You can draw power from the battery at any temp. You just can't charge it below freezing .

Using the motor as a heater will work exactly the same as the resistive heater on the S and X. Motors are big resistors (and inductors, but that's besides the point)

Once it hits 100, I was thinking of leaving it outside again just to confirm the behavior that I’ve seen and if 30-40 degree weather is causing the 100 mile drop.
:) You're a programmer?

You don't have the tools to properly diagnose it, and generally running completely out of charge is not good for a Li battery. No need to poke that bear, just let the Tesla service scope it out.

They didn’t put a battery heating system in the Model 3 like they did with the model S to cut costs out of the car. It’s very unfortunate and should be explained to people not living in a warm climate. I would suggest parking it inside if you can.

So you just joined the forum to post completely false information? That's not going to work out well for you...

Nothing wrong with more data :)

An oldie-but-goodie:

A physicist, an engineer and a programmer were in a car driving over a steep alpine pass when the brakes failed. The car was getting faster and faster, they were struggling to get round the corners and once or twice only the feeble crash barrier saved them from crashing down the side of the mountain. They were sure they were all going to die, when suddenly they spotted an escape lane. They pulled into the escape lane, and came safely to a halt.

The physicist said "We need to model the friction in the brake pads and the resultant temperature rise, see if we can work out why they failed".

The engineer said "I think I've got a few spanners in the back. I'll take a look and see if I can work out what's wrong".

The programmer said "Why don't we get going again and see if it's reproducible?"

So you just joined the forum to post completely false information? That's not going to work out well for you...

N.Y. Times front page story: "SFInvestor21 discovers fatal flaw in Model 3 battery heating behavior"

Sub-heading: Wins Nobel Physics prize, Musk is shocked...

Sub-sub-heading: SFInvestor21 forgot to check his stock market holiday calendar and timed his click bait headline incorrectly.

RT

@Khangtn, as others have said, the drop from 100 mi to 0 means something is wrong. Perhaps a door was not shut completely leaving (frameless) window ajar, and cabin preheat was left on a toasty setting overnight (was it warm inside the car when you checked it?), but this seems improbable.

Even so, something is wrong you need to get ahold of service and eventually get some juice in the pack. Call roadside assistance, or call the main 800 number and look for a service option until you talk to a human.

For comparison, I left my Model 3 unplugged last night, indoors while snowing outside overnight, so perhaps high 40s F in the garage. Went from 240 miles to 238. Haven't done it outdoors, but would imagine < 10 mi change.

As far as the lock/unlock and bedroom location, just turn off phone bluetooth when you're not driving. (If you need phone bluetooth for other home devices, then turn off the walk-up-unlock instead).

Hope you get service on this soon and get it resolved. Please keep us posted.

@Khangtn, What’s your VIN? Curious to know how recently yours was built.
Sorry to seem skeptical, but this feels like LATimes bait.

Hey @jomo25, here you go.

Attachments

• CE877CF9-1C0D-48DD-8D8C-0D7DC357BDF6.jpeg
    CE877CF9-1C0D-48DD-8D8C-0D7DC357BDF6.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Quick update! So I did end up leaving my car out last night, temperatures dropped as low as 28 degrees F. Car dropped from 132 to 117 Miles. Much better than 100 drop :). Before I went to bed I did notice that my interior temperature was holding a solid 65-70 degrees as i monitored it for an hour (even though outside temp was 33). Before going to sleep I decided to switch off my Bluetooth maybe thinking proximity had anything to do with maintaining temperature or what others have said maybe my car is turning on and off. Anyways, happy it didn’t happen again for now.