Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery to 0 overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my model 3 just a few days ago. Has anyone had issues with their model 3 and a drop in battery overnight? My battery was about 100 Miles, and in the morning it was 0. This seems incredibly odd and way too significant of a drop. Software issues potentially?

Plugged in or no? If yes, what charge rate/connection. Parked inside or outside? Ambient temperature? Are you using the Tesla app or any other services that connect to the car remotely? Using phone as key? Is walk-up unlock enabled? If yes, was phone possibly near car causing it to wake/unlock repeatedly?

Plugged in or no? If yes, what charge rate/connection. Parked inside or outside? Ambient temperature? Are you using the Tesla app or any other services that connect to the car remotely? Using phone as key? Is walk-up unlock enabled? If yes, was phone possibly near car causing it to wake/unlock repeatedly?

It wasn’t plugged in overnight, but it is now. Currently just on a regular 15 amp 120v connection. Was parked outside, 40 degrees F. Yes I’m using the app as well as phone key. Walk up Lock and unlock is enabled, which I first thought was happening and my bedroom is close, however even with that potentially happening 100 Miles seems way too much.

It looks like the battery is unable to even hold a charge now. Been plugged in for about 2 hours and it continues to display 0 Miles.

Attachments

• 6F60BB4B-4C99-4282-BAD3-DA7BBE53D231.png
    6F60BB4B-4C99-4282-BAD3-DA7BBE53D231.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 312
If your giant vampire drain is still happening, there's no way that 120V charger can keep up (max 1.8kW). 40F doesn't seem warm enough for the battery heater to kick in... That heater is 6kW, which would suck your battery dry if it were stuck on for some reason. Best to get this diagnosed via service center tomorrow.

• Disagree
Reactions: chargeshare
Picked up my model 3 just a few days ago. Has anyone had issues with their model 3 and a drop in battery overnight? My battery was about 100 Miles, and in the morning it was 0. This seems incredibly odd and way too significant of a drop. Software issues potentially?

They didn’t put a battery heating system in the Model 3 like they did with the model S to cut costs out of the car. It’s very unfortunate and should be explained to people not living in a warm climate. I would suggest parking it inside if you can.

They didn’t put a battery heating system in the Model 3 like they did with the model S to cut costs out of the car. It’s very unfortunate and should be explained to people not living in a warm climate. I would suggest parking it inside if you can.
Battery heater or not, there’s definitely something wrong if charge goes from 100 to 0 overnight. Whether it’s “vampire drain” or something else obviously needs to be determined.

Reactions: Icer and dhrivnak
Other things to check for: door(s) not completely closed (some have reported door seals are tight when new and doors need to be closed quite firmly); cabin pre-heat accidentally turned on. However, these are unlikely to be the issue. Probably best to consult service, as others have suggested. They will track it down.

Reactions: Khangtn and pharma5

It can still heat the battery without a dedicated "battery heater", they have just redesigned it to use heat from the motor (even while parked) to heat the battery.

From the article "Even when parked, Tesla’s software can send a request to the powertrain inverter to start powering up and pass the appropriate currents to the motor in order to produce enough heat to warm the cells – all while not producing any torque so the Model 3 doesn’t move."

It wasn’t plugged in overnight, but it is now. Currently just on a regular 15 amp 120v connection. Was parked outside, 40 degrees F. Yes I’m using the app as well as phone key. Walk up Lock and unlock is enabled, which I first thought was happening and my bedroom is close, however even with that potentially happening 100 Miles seems way too much.

@Khangtn, as others have said, the drop from 100 mi to 0 means something is wrong. Perhaps a door was not shut completely leaving (frameless) window ajar, and cabin preheat was left on a toasty setting overnight (was it warm inside the car when you checked it?), but this seems improbable.

Even so, something is wrong you need to get ahold of service and eventually get some juice in the pack. Call roadside assistance, or call the main 800 number and look for a service option until you talk to a human.

For comparison, I left my Model 3 unplugged last night, indoors while snowing outside overnight, so perhaps high 40s F in the garage. Went from 240 miles to 238. Haven't done it outdoors, but would imagine < 10 mi change.

As far as the lock/unlock and bedroom location, just turn off phone bluetooth when you're not driving. (If you need phone bluetooth for other home devices, then turn off the walk-up-unlock instead).

Hope you get service on this soon and get it resolved. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: Khangtn
It can still heat the battery without a dedicated "battery heater", they have just redesigned it to use heat from the motor (even while parked) to heat the battery.

From the article "Even when parked, Tesla’s software can send a request to the powertrain inverter to start powering up and pass the appropriate currents to the motor in order to produce enough heat to warm the cells – all while not producing any torque so the Model 3 doesn’t move."

Except if the battery is too cold to draw power it wont work. The real issue is they chose to cut a necessity for an EV in cold weather in order to bring the cost down to become a mass market car.