Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade 60->75 and long distance trip times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that have done the 60 -> 75 upgrade and taken long trips before and after. What kind of difference has it made for you?

I'm planning a 3k mile route trip next month, that I've done before, and wondering if it would decrease my entire trip time by much. I've tried plugging in the details to the online route planners and they come back with differences of 10 minutes to an hour. ABRP was interesting in that it showed I wouldn't have to keep to a max speed of 60 for 2 of the legs. But, since they're all asking for different data to make their calculations I find the estimates to be suspect.

My daily commute it only 40-50 miles, depending on my route, so it's definitely only something I'd use for long trips.

It really depends on the route. Just a straight route with good Supercharger spacing will not be very different. What I have noticed is in places where you need to jump from one Interstate route to another (for example, when going east-west in summer and needing to jump from I-70 to I-80 in Kansas/Nebraska -- very dicey in a 60, easy in a 75).

Another situation is where there is a "corner" that you can cut. An example of this is when travelling from Trinidad, Colorado to Amarillo, TX. I was able to (very carefully and with reduced speed) jump directly between the two after the 75 upgrade. In the 60 I would not have attempted this, and would have to go around through Las Vegas, Santa Rosa and Tucumcari NM, adding several hours to the trip.
upload_2017-11-14_7-31-43.png

Another factor that the routing tools don't easily show is the option to continue charging when at a meal stop. With the 60, the car finishes charging quickly and there is no way to continue charging if you are not finished eating. Time is wasted where you could continue charging with the 75. In busy areas, you might even be charged idle fees if you can't get to your car in time. With the 75, simply use the app to bump up your charge level (or just travel with it set to 100%, which eliminates the worry).

For me, the lack of stress was well worth the $2000 to upgrade. I don't stress as much about making the next SC, and I don't stress about charge levels. I do have to be careful not to leave the charge level at 100% on destination chargers and when I get home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Since my route is pretty straight and the only real jump is at the end where it doesn't matter I guess the route planners have been pretty accurate in saying it won't save me much time at all.

Though since this will be at the end of December and ABRP says I need to charge to 100% in Memphis to make it to Little Rock with 10% left, with a max of 62mph, that might be unrealistic unless I upgrade.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 10.33.19 AM.png

I've never set a max charge at a SC. Just let it charge as much as it wants and get back before it stops. Usually I'm antsy to get back on the road though.

Trying to optimize battery size is a challenge, because we tend to focus on how things are today, but the future is often cloudy.

I purchased a X75D since there are lots of places around SoCal to charge up, however since the X is so versitile and fun to drive, I have totally changed my driving patterns. Take some trips in the Tesla where I used to fly, go on lots of overnights to interesting places i was going to check out "someday". Putting 50% more miles on the X than I did with my previous Grand Cherokee simply because the experience is so much better.

Others may have the same experience. After carefully deciding which battery and model is best for them, they changing their driving patterns, and the best choice may change after ownership.

No matter, all the Tesla's are pretty good, and you can always change your patterns a bit to fit the vehicle you have.

I often stop at a Supercharger that is not optimum for the trip, but gives me an overall best experience. Something I never thought of when I was ordering.

Reactions: Rocky_H
We did a 1000 mile r/t road trip last month and took the S100D instead of the S90D. Heading east, the times would've been virtually identical but heading back west, the extra battery capacity saved us nearly 40 minutes. That's not a huge difference but we had precious cargo on board and wanted to get home as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Since my route is pretty straight and the only real jump is at the end where it doesn't matter I guess the route planners have been pretty accurate in saying it won't save me much time at all.

Though since this will be at the end of December and ABRP says I need to charge to 100% in Memphis to make it to Little Rock with 10% left, with a max of 62mph, that might be unrealistic unless I upgrade.

View attachment 260160

I've never set a max charge at a SC. Just let it charge as much as it wants and get back before it stops. Usually I'm antsy to get back on the road though.

We took a trip from San Diego to Atlanta in our S60 this time last year and are leaving for the same trip this Thursday after purchasing the upgrade. My expectation is the main savings on this route will be the avoidance of those legs where you might be advised to severely limit your speed, particularly on the west bound leg with some nasty headwinds. This will probably be even more pronounced on this trip when we're able to take I10/I20 through west Texas with that 80 and 85 mph speed limit for long stretches. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

There are fewer and fewer legs between superchargers where the range difference between a 60 and 75 matters. They exist, even in California, but they are increasingly few and far between. That said, one of them happens to be very relevant to my particular driving needs and location, so the upgrade made sense in my very particular scenario, resulting in a common trip originating at my home needing one charging stop instead of two.

For long trips that involve multiple charging stops, I think the value of the upgrade is negligible. With a software limited 60, you are still charging at ~35kw right up to "100%", after which the charging speed drops precipitously. Charging a 75 (or any non-software limited) battery to 100% at a supercharger is a slow and burdensome affair, to the point that you'll likely save time by making multiple stops instead of trying to make one long leg of the trip on a single charge. It's highly route-dependent - I think it only really makes sense if you have a particular segment of your trip that would be a stretch range-wise for a 60, or would require significant speed reduction to make it without worry/stress.

Considering the 60 vs 75 (software locked) has the same supercharging rate, the difference in road trip times is not very different.

The big difference goes from going from 75 to 90 or 100, the supercharging curve difference saves a ton of time b

We took a trip from San Diego to Atlanta in our S60 this time last year and are leaving for the same trip this Thursday after purchasing the upgrade. My expectation is the main savings on this route will be the avoidance of those legs where you might be advised to severely limit your speed, particularly on the west bound leg with some nasty headwinds. This will probably be even more pronounced on this trip when we're able to take I10/I20 through west Texas with that 80 and 85 mph speed limit for long stretches. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
There are no 85 mph speed limits on Interstate highways in Texas. And no requirement to drive 80 when that is the speed limit -- most trucks do not.